Hello everyone, today, we are going to have a look at the historicity of the new upcoming German tank destroyer line. Tier 4 – Marder 38T As you can see on the picture, this vehicle is clearly based on the Marder III Ausf.H. Of course, most Marder pictures are taken from the ground by a photographer, so few people know about how the superstructure really looks (that it has that small “roof” and spent shell collectors): So, why is it called Marder 38T and not Marder III Ausf.H in the game? Well, that’s a good question. First off, the designation Marder 38T is not historical – even IF it was to be called like this, it would be called 38(t), but generally, as far as I know, Marder III was referred to either by its Sonderkraftahrzeug number, or simply “Marder” or “Marder III” (or – in one case – Panzerjäger 38(t) ). If you are interested in the Marder III history, I wrote an article about it some time ago. I suspect that the developers chose this name because a) it’s short (much shorter than Marder III Ausf.H anyway) and b) because of the weaponry. You see, historical Marder III Ausf.H carried ONLY the 75mm PaK 40 (which will probably be buffed in terms of accuracy, aimtime and rate of fire for tier 4). It never actively carried the Marder II 76,2mm coverted Russian gun. Thus, if they wanted to add more weapons to Marder III, it wouldn’t be Marder III Ausf.H anymore, but some sort of hybrid. In this sense, it’s probably guaranteed for Marder III to carry some unhistorical weaponry (despite the L/70 Marder III actually being available – it was a paper project by BMM). And since it’s an unhistorical mashup anyway, they might name it 38T as well. Overall, I suspect this vehicle will be quite historical (in terms of engine, armor etc.), with a bunch of unhistorical guns added. Historical stats: Crew: 4 Weight: 10,5 tons Armor: 50mm frontal Engine: 125-150hp Praga Max.speed: 35-40km/h Gun: PaK 40/3 L/46,5 Tier 5 – Sfl.IVc Ah yes, the infamous “bang bus”. Yes, in case you are wondering, this is a historical vehicle. Doyle and Chamberlain clearly tell us in the “Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two”: The picture above contains all that we do know and need to know about the vehicle. Basically, the Flak version (that is in game, see the gun choices – the top being the L/74 Flak 41) was NOT designed to drive around and kill tanks, it was a mobile heavy AA vehicle with fully traversing turret. As for the Flak 41 gun itself, I think we can expect somewhat worse parameters than the PaK 43 L/71, but how much worse, that we can only speculate. Original FlaK 41 parameters: Barrel length: L/74 (6548mm) Recoil: 1100mm Elevation: -3 to +90 (this goes for static mount) AT shell velocity: 980 m/s AT shell weight: 9,8kg Subcaliber AT shell velocity: 1125 m/s Subcaliber AT shell weight: 7,5kg Rate of fire: 23 rounds per minute (again, this is for static mount, it won’t be nearly as much in game) Penetration at 100m: 194mm (237mm with subcaliber rounds) By having the bang bus drive around with its superstructure up, this vehicle moved from the realm of reality to the realm of fantasy somewhat, but I suspect the vehicle will be viable, if fragile. Please note that the ENTIRE superstructure acts as regular armor, not spaced armor: if it gets penetrated anywhere, tank HP goes down. Tier 6 – Nashorn This is probably (along with Marder III and Sturer Emil) the most known vehicle of the entire branch and many people waited for it. And for a good reason! Massive firepower of the L/71 makes it a hot contender for the most awesome tier 6 vehicle out there. For historical background, the wiki article suffices – of course, there are some small issues with it, but nothing groundbreaking. With its great gun, decent mobility and possibly good camo factor, I suspect it will be an awesome vehicle, if a bit fragile. Crew: 5 Weight: 24 tons Armor: 20-30mm hull, 10mm superstructure Engine: 300hp Maybach (12,5hp/t) Max.speed: 42km/h Gun: 88mm PaK 43 L/71 (I suspect the previous vehicle’s Flak being the stock gun) Tier 7 – Selbstfahrlafette V, or Sturer Emil 128mm K40 at tier 7? Yes please! Sturer Emil is a historical vehicle and possibly the most awaited tank destroyer of the whole line. It is a special hull, based on the VK3001H suspension, housing the massive 128mm gun. Again, for history basics, the wikipedia article will suffice. As for the gun itself, what can we expect? Well, basically it was a Flak 40 conversion, so don’t expect TOO much. But for its tier, the firepower will be awesome. Also, note the -15 historical depression. The traverse (7 to each side) is going to be a bit worse though. Barrel length: L/61 (7808mm) APC-HE shell velocity: 880 m/s APC-HE shell weight: 26,35kg Rate of fire: 10 rounds per minute (this is for static mount, it won’t be nearly as much in game) Penetration at 100m: 201mm Overall, this vehicle has potential to be completely historical. Crew: 5 Weight: 35 tons Armor: 50mm hull, 15mm superstructure Engine: 300hp Maybach (8,57hp/t) Max.speed: 25km/h Gun: 128mm K40 Elevation: -15 (!!!)/+10 Traverse: 7 to each side Tier 8 – Waffenträger Rheinmetall-Borsig So, this looks weird, doesn’t it. Did such a thing actually exist in real life? Yes, yes it did. This was one of the heavier Waffenträger proposals by Rheinmetall-Borsig. The Waffenträger history is kinda complicated, there were tons of various projects, mostly from Krupp, Rheinmetall and Ardelt. If you are interested in more details, please check my “Devil wears Praga” article. The 150mm installed in the game (150mm FH L/29,5) is historical (as artillery piece, it was designated FH18 – FH in this case means Feldhaubitze, field gun). The penetration of this gun will not be very high (apart from the HEAT shells), but there almost certainly will be an option to mount a 128mm gun. That alone is also historical, as quite similiar chassis was planned for an unspecified 128mm gun (we can here expect the K40 to be stock and L/55 or its equivalent being an upgrade): Armor – as you can guess – will be VERY thin: The engine for these Waffenträgers however was originally the Praga AC/2, with the 220hp Tatra 103 being an upgrade. Overall, the turret could be rotated 360 degrees (confirmed by Storm), but please note that historically, this chassis could rotate the gun 360 degrees ONLY when equipped with the 88mm L/71, Continue reading →

More...