You kids have it easy these days, with your internet tanks and plastic kits. When I was your age, back in the old country, we had to find different ways to scratch that tank itch. “A thought on developing a remote controlled land torpedo came to me this winter, during the fighting of the Red Army with the Finnish White Guards. I thought that, in order to destroy pillboxes, bridges, anti-tank fortifications, a machine must be created with massive destructive power. A land torpedo is such a machine. It moves with great speed, 120 kph. Swamps and rivers are no obstacle. Thanks to its mobility, it is invincible. It is controlled remotely. Infantry rides on top of the vehicle. 100-150 meters from the target, it dismounts, and takes up formation. The torpedo keeps moving forward, reaches its goal, and explodes, destroying the target. The nearby infantry can now spring into action. The model of this land torpedo was constructed with the help of my classmates. -Isaac Medvedev, Grade 8, 23rd School of the Smolninsk Region.” The Red Army never built any such vehicle. The Wehrmacht experimented with remotely detonated mobile mines, but they were ineffective due to lacking the speed and maneuverability described in this boy’s project.

More...