No, this is not a joke or a hoax. I already had my suspicions for months as I’ve spread my roots trough every crack but*my insiders*in Wargaming finally have confirmed this information.

Wargaming is currently working on a World of Tanks 2.0 with modern vehicles just like Armored Warfare. The game is in pre-alpha stage and its very likely that it will be announced this year, maybe even at Gamescon.
WG is learning from its competitor Armored Warfare, that there is enough interest in modern vehicles. The screenshots released on April 1st, 2015 as a joke belonged to a very early stage/prototype version of the project and since then the engine has received a major improve and the models will certainly look as polished as the HD WoT models.
And talking about Armored Warfare… I hope this is more than enough reason for them to wake the hell up, I still play the game but it’s very visible of how much less I’ve been writing about it. I’ve been feeling disappointed and just came out from a month break from AW, Obsidian has had many fails since game got released, most patches come delayed, incomplete and*full of bugs.
I expected more from Obsidian mostly due to the games they released in the past (Neverwinter, Fallout New Vegas and even Pillars of Eternity) I’ve been investigating around and there is practically no people working on Armored Warfare that worked on the good games.
So yeah, I’m very curious about WoT 2.0 and I hope this to be a wake up call for Obsidian to start doing a better job.