Hello everyone, today we are going to have a look at the Garage Battle mode in connection with the fact that Veider (one of the developers) stated yesterday (if the translation is correct), that these are not really planned. First: what IS a garage battle? Well, the basic idea has been around for ages, possibly pre-dating even tier 10 mediums, physics and all the cool WoT stuff. The point of a garage battle is that you enter a battle – and once you die, you enter the same battle with another tank from your garage (effectively your tanks count as “lives”). How exactly would this work in World of Tanks is not known (there have been some developer posts about it, but nothing concrete. Of course, there are issues with that concept – and some have been discussed in the abovementioned article. But the proverbial elephant in the room is: do we actually NEED such a mode at all? Well, War Thunder has such a mode. I haven’t checked how it works there (if anyone can describe, please do – in comments), but principially out of its very definition, this mode supports (directly or indirectly) pay to win, as the player with better/bigger “tank deck” has a bigger chance of winning. There are other issues too: how will the tanks be balance against one another for example. Personally, I believe such a mode is completely redundant. What innovation can it offer that is not in the game already? - the gameplay wouldn’t differ from random games (the basic principles remain the same, apart from more emphasis on shooting and less on capping) - uncoordinated player mob, that cannot “build decks”: imagine giving a random player the option of a game mode where he is forced to actually think… - additional more random element in battle – something along the lines of “lol half of our team selected wrong tank and the team got roflstomped in round two” - another difficulty is the position of destroyed players: they obviously would have to wait until the end of the “round”, which makes the whole thing tedious, leading to possible AFK’s for subsequent rounds - what about trolls? Suiciders, idiots and teamkillers can effectively ruin an entire multi-stage round for a team - and let’s not forget the possibility that (however the victory is defined), there will be battles where the outcome is already given and everyone knows it, the losing team will “throw it”: that won’t be fun for any of the teams A chapter by itself is the time requirement (that’s an important thing): World of Tanks (and World of Warplanes) are built around the “quick” battles. Anyone can spare 10-15 mins for one round, a “quickie” before you have to do something or go somewhere else. That is one of the essential elements of World of Tanks’ success. Long battles (30 mins for example) would take this away. This goes for big maps too by the way: if you have 3x3km map (let’s say), you’ll spend half of the time going somewhere (vanilla Warcraft players might remember this well). That is NOT fun. And for all their flaws, I can’t think of a single benefit such a mode would actually bring. Same gameplay but longer battles and more random element don’t sound appealing. Of course, someone might consider the longer battle time as an advantage – is it? Under some circumstances, yes. For example, when you have a free evening and you want a nice long World of Tanks session. Fair enough. But this again is spoiled by the random element of deck choosing. It won’t be one long epic battle. As a slight offtopic: imagine vanilla World of Warcraft battlegrounds before the time limit – one battle could rage whole day! You could log off in the morning and log in in the evening to join the very same battle. That was the stuff of legends: I once saw an 8 hour battle being decided in the end by the best PVP player I have ever seen in any game to this date joining and single-handedly deciding the outcome by rallying one of the teams. Anyway, if you think about such epic clash, forget it: the fact you (and your teammates and enemies) have to “switch” tanks will make the match a fragmented experience, feeling like series of matches one after another. No, thank you, I will rather play series of battles in one tank. Anyway, that’s just my 2 cents regarding this topic. Feel free to disprove me/comment/add your opinion, looking forward reading them.

More...