Author: Hillin (Chinese server) Hello everyone, today, we have an interesting guest article by Hillin, who actually is from China and plays on their private server. It’s his personal rating proposal and – whatever you might think of it – it’s very thought thru. Took me a while to grasp though, so 3 mins won’t do. - SS Hillin: As we all know, in patch 8.8, an official personal rating system is live in game, and many players disliked it. Edrard had also written a post to discuss about it. In China, most players use a modified XVM algorithm, which in my opinion is not quite a good one. Finally I decided to write an article to demonstrate how would my ideal personal rating system be like. And here it is. Hope it can be published on your FTR site, so it could be shared and discussed by people all around the world. And sorry for any literal or syntax problems, as English is not my mother language. A Personal Rating System: My Ideal Design Discussion Principles 1. No personal rating (PR) system could be sufficient to measure the overall skill level of a player. A PR system is implemented with simple or complex computation of gameplay statistics, many in-game events or actions which reflect the personal ability in strategies and tactics of a player could not be epitomized in these statistics. A PR system can only measure the personal ability of a player in a certain framework with a certain algorithm, and it is only able to ensure its fairness to all players within this framework. Anything other than how to give such a framework and an ideal algorithm, besides whether to use a PR system or not, is not discussed in this topic. 2. Implementability is not discussed in principle. The major non-official PR systems lacks some statistic data, which is considered important in reflecting one’s battle skill, such as overall assisted damage (damage dealt to targets you are spotting, by teammates who are not spotting them themselves), makes it difficult to rate a scout player. In the PR system we are going to design in this topic, we intensively utilize a bunch of existing statistic data, in which, however, many could not be retrieved by non-official developers. This topic tries to inspire future PR system designs, so we principally do not discuss about implementability too much. 3. No detailed formula will be given. As we’ve said above, many parameters of our PR system are not accessible, so it doesn’t make sense to give a detailed formula for the system. However, I will try to give draft formulas, with constants left unfilled, in order to help readers to understand this rating system more easily. 4. Examples in this topic are randomly provided. Design Principles 1. The PR value does not simply reflect the personal ability of a player. The contribution to the team is more important. It is easy to understand, because World of Tanks is a team-based game. Personal ability, such as damaged dealt, are important, however, a large-scale applied PR system will affect the battle behavior of players, and eventually the global atmosphere of the game in turn (e.g. IMO the official PR system actually encourages players to play more negatively). As for a team-based game, the PR system should encourage people to contribute to the team as much as possible. 2. Design from the view of followers. The PR value, in one hand, is a utility to find out which aspect could be improved for a player himself, in the other hand, is a window to know your opponents. We should start from these two angle-of-views, in order to provide accurate information for these two kind of followers. Other parameters should be rejected. a) Employ benchmark values based on statistics, rather than by experience; use relative values rather than absolute ones. Major PR systems employ absolute benchmark values (such as the base damage for each tier) by experience. However, I consider a benchmark value based on relative statistics is more reliable. Such a value is calculated by comparing the stats of one player and the overall level, which reflects how the player is performing amongst all players. b) In a single battle, Rating per Tank (RT) of a player makes more sense than his overall PR value. It should be easy to understand, a player good at sniping might play bad while scouting. You are fighting an opponent on a certain tank, you care about how did he performed on this tank more. c) The PR value should represent the recent performance of a player, rather than his whole history. Everyone begins as a noob. What you care is your opponent’s current skill level, his history makes no sense to you. The Design 1. The Absolute Rating per Battle (RB-abs) value This value represents how a player performs in a single battle. It is the weighted sum of two values: the common part and the tank-specific part, and finally adjusted by the battle result. a)*The common part The common part is basically the raw experience (with premium account and special premium vehicle bonuses exempted) you get, with the average Rating per Tank (RT) value of your teammates and opponents taken in count. Raw battle experience (Xraw) is a composite factor, based on almost all sorts of battle statistics, computed by a complex official algorithm. It represents the performance of a player in an official way, in how the creators of this game wanted our play-styles to be. This official algorithm, in my opinion, have much more say than any other algorithms. Just as Edrard, the inventor of the Effective Value system, said in his post, if the raw experience per battle of a player is displayed in his personal statistics, and can be viewed by anyone else, there is no need to invent another rating system. The average RT of your teammates (RT-teammate) and opponents (RT-opponent) are balance factors. The higher your enemies’ average RT and the lower your teammates’ average RT are, the higher rating point you will get from this battle. That is, you get bonus when you are fighting a strong enemy, or leading a relatively weak team, vice versa. My draft formula for the common part of RB-abs is: b)*The tank-specific part This part is based on several battle statistics, such as damage dealt, potential damage received, enemy spotted and assisted damages. However, different kind of tanks have different weights to these factors. Here we do not use a narrow sense, such as light/medium/heave tanks, TD and SPGs to categorize tanks, for there are many crossover tanks in the game, such as Continue reading →

More...