Hello everyone,
it’s been a while since I posted on any topic like this one, but recently, I gave this topic some thought. Here’s a thought about the Israeli branch and its introduction into World of Tanks. Yes, I said World of Tanks – for Armored Warfare, this is not really a problem (there’s the Merkava already), but World of Tanks branch-making follows a different set of rules.
The whole question can be split into two parts:
- is it even possible to make an Israeli branch?
- will such branch be implemented?
The answer to the first question is easy enough – yes, absolutely. More than three years ago (oh god, I’m old), I made a proposal. It was really crude, but it does showcase how the branch would look like (we’re talking about a medium branch of course, any other branch becomes exponentially more difficult).
The basic setup is:
- 1948 Independence War oddities on low tiers
- Shermans in the middle
- Sho’t (Centurion), Mag’ach (Patton), Tiran (captured T-series) or even Merkava prototype on high tiers
Merkava I hear you say? Impossibru! Well… it would be those three years ago. But we are somewhere else now. The old rules don’t apply anymore to a certain extent. When it comes to timeline, we have a Type 74 prototype and the Type 64 Chinese light tank, those are fairly new. There are other factors as well – I’ll get to that. Back to Merkava – some of the prototypes might very well be suitable.
This is actually VERY important. It means that the branch has a viable, attractive Tier 10 and that is rare. Really, really rare – the remaining Tier 10 candidates are mostly paper stuff the introduction of which has to be “justified” by other means (for example, the upcoming heavy French branch – French heavies were one of the few outstanding lines left). Now, to concrete examples.
This is a tree proposal by Life_in_Blackyou can find the entire thread dedicated to it here.

While I disagree with some of the choices he made, it’s the most comprehensive proposal available. Definitely check the thread I linked, it’s well worth the read. So yes, it’s possible to assemble the tree.
But will such branch be implemented?
To answer this second questions, we must look at World of Tanks as a whole in current setting and compare it to what was already developed since these first proposals appeared.
The main branches (American, German, Russian, French and British) are more or less developed and are unlikely to have other full lines to appear. Yes, I know it’s possible to build another American medium branch, but… somehow, I don’t believe that it will happen. French line is very likely finished with the French heavies. Germans can field more superheavies but after the Japanese superheavy feedback, I don’t think WG’s eager to implement another static line. Chinese tank destroyers might appear simply because Wargaming needs the Chinese market, Japanese TD’s? Unlikely. More Czechoslovak tanks? I doubt it. Sweden… we’re getting Sweden at the end of this year, that much you already know. That means that the branch that will come AFTER Sweden will be different, Sweden is neither very demanded (which is why the Czechs came first) nor has a hugely attractive market, spamming it would make no sense.
Now… about World of Tanks.
When Rita announced the World of Tanks 2.0, my first thought was World of Tanks was dead and all the resources would be pooled into the “next big thing”. I was wrong. I can’t really tell any details about it, but let’s just say I am pretty sure that WoT 2.0 will not appear this year. Or the next one. Call it a hunch.
That basically puts more pressure on World of Tanks to carry the torch while its successor is still in the making and will be for a while. Now, fixing bugs is well and good and I think that’s the right way to go, but content delivery is equally as important. Wargaming might be working on something mightblowing in the sense of new modes (how long it’s been since historical battles), but the bread and butter of new content are tanks. Based on this logic, I believe there will be at least one more full branch after this year’s Swedish one. One, maybe two.
But which branch should it be?
Well, for starters, it shouldn’t be something static. I am pretty sure Wargaming realizes the attractiveness of highly mobile vehicles. The Czechs were such a branch, the French HTs will not be slouches either and the Swedish MT branch promises high mobility as well. Furthermore, while many might disagree – I don’t think the Japanese heavies are too popular. Forget Italians, forget Poland – I doubt they’ll ever appear as full branches because Poland has a huge tier 8-10 problem and Italian branch is full of copycats. It’s possible that Italian and Polish tanks will appear as low tier semi-branches or premiums but… I don’t know. Low tiers don’t make money. High tiers do.
If I were to guess, the 2017 early branch would be the Chinese TDs (based on economy reasons) and the second branch would be… something.
Now, consider Israel. The medium branch is full of copycats, yes, but:
- so is every other branch of possible nations (*Israel blocks Italy’s jab attempt*)
- even these “copycats” are pretty iconic (Super Sherman, Sho’t Kal) (*Israel delivers a mighty uppercut, Italy’s nearly knocked out – Italy survives because lowtiers fought as well*)
- the MT branch is relatively mobile, which would be a nice counterpoint to Chinese TDs (*Italy and Israel circle each other, looking for weaknesses*)
- compared to earlier days, it seems making a new nation (crews, art etc.) is not really a problem anymore (*Italy and Israel both launch an attack, but Italy is visibly shaken*)
- no paper stuff – these things actually fought! (*aaaaaaaaaand here’s where Israel delivers the knockout blow, everything Italian above Tier 7 is either paper or obscure*)
- the vehicles are accessible (Latrun museum) and rather well documented (there are exceptions of course but overall I expect the Israeli tanks to be better documented than the Czechoslovak branch)
- they are really, really famous, there are fanclubs all over the world. Famous = more premiums sold.
- amazing premium tank potential (Zvika Greengold’s Centurion!)
Regarding the Israeli “controversy” – so what? It’s vehicles. Armored Warfare has a Merkava, nobody rioted. We even ran an article about Zvika Greengold. It’s history. As long as you stay away from politics, you’re fine.
And last but not least… there are some very fine people willing to help Wargaming with implementing the branch the way I used to help with the Czechoslovaks.
Based on the abovementioned assumptions, I think that the chance of Israel appearing in World of Tanks in 2017 is quite high. I could be wrong of course :) I am inviting you to find faults in my logic. What say you? Would you enjoy Israeli tanks in WoT – or AW for that matter?