Hello everyone, this will be the first and probably the last (at least on FTR) post on War Thunder I am going to make, comparing both games from “outside” point of view. I will not be commenting on War Thunder planes, as I didn’t play them nearly enough and I didn’t play World of Warplanes either at all. Just tanks. Let’s roll back a week or so ago (or is it two weeks?) to the Igromir game expo (something like Russian Gamescom or E3), where Gaijin unveiled the tanks for War Thunder. I watched the stream and was like “holy shit, that looks like Skyrim with tanks!” – and it does, doesn’t it? I mean, the quality was beautiful. But even then, after the “preeeeeettyyyyyyyy” feeling wore off, I noticed some physics glitches, like StuG getting stuck on some stone or whatever, nothing serious, but enough to break the “this will be awesome” feeling. Still, I was full of anticipation. Well, that is, until today. Gaijin recently released the German and Soviet tank tree and my reaction was roughly: “What the fuck is this shit?!” Seriously… have a look yourselves, here’s the German one: I am sure SerB must be laughing his ass off right now. Why? Let’s have a look at it. The biggest beef I have with it is that it is filled with some literally identical vehicles. - What the hell is StuG (skb) (Edit: figured it out, skb = Saukopfblende, making a vehicle based on a different mantlet ftw) - for game purposes, StuG III Ausf.F, G, G mit Sch├╝rzen, StuH 42 – pretty much one and the same vehicle (early F’s had 50mm frontal armor). What is the point of grinding four same vehicles? - plus points for not calling Jagdpanzer 38(t) a “Hetzer” - Why are Elefant and Ferdinand two different vehicles? There were almost no differences between them, apart from one having a bow machinegun - Why the hell do Elefand and Ferdinand have different superstructures on icons, they were supposed to be identical - no higher light tanks? No Panzer II Ausf.L? - why so many Panzer III’s? Panzer III Ausf.M and Ausf.L are almost identical, including armor and gun, Panzer III Ausf.E and F are also almost identical - what the hell is the point of Panzer III Ausf.N? It has 70mm frontal armor, but a 75mm L/24 gun? How balanced is that? It was an infantry support version. Completely pointless in a tank game - Panzer IV Ausf.E and Ausf.F are practically identical - Panzer IV Ausf.F and Ausf.G actually ARE identical, it was the one and the same vehicle, it was redesignated to G after it recieved the L/48 gun. For a short period of time, even the L/48 vehicles were designated F - this tree tries to be as historical as possible to the point of not including prototypes for now, why include Panther F (that was just an upgrade proposal, never existed) and Panther II (just a hull existed)? - why split the Tiger II into the Porsche turret and Henschel turret versions? Apart from the nasty shot trap, those vehicles were identical - Tiger II with KwK 46 is a purely paper project. There’s no Maus, that really existed, yet a vehicle that was never properly developed (only a concept drawing was found) makes it into the tree? No. This German tree is full of fail and I really dislike it. The Soviet one has its issues like this too (perhaps even more). I think Gaijin really dropped the ball here and for now, World of Tanks comes clearly ahead when it comes to tree composition. Time will show, but I won’t hold my breath, because for all of SerB’s trolling and WG fails, their trees are well thought thru (well, okay, the Brits are a mess and the Chinese are Soviet copycats but come on, at least we don’t get identical tanks on regular basis).

More...