Hello everyone, in part 1 and part 2, I did put down my opinion on the new German branch. Now it’s time for the last part, featuring premium tanks. Chi-Nu Kai So, the time has finally come: the Japanese tanks are here with their first pre-tree medium, the Chi-Nu Kai (a Chi-Nu with Chi-To turret and gun). It’s a tier 5 premium vehicle though. My first impression of Chi-Nu Kai was sort of the same as with the T-25, minus the speed. Chi-Nu Kai (furthermore only CNK) is not a one-trick pony relying on one trait (such as speed, firepower or armor), it is a fairly well balanced tier 5 vehicle. It has one flaw, but we’ll get to that later. First, the armor: As you can see, it’s nothing absolutely outstanding, but also nothing to be ashamed of. Compared to T-25′s sloped 50mm and 60mm turret, it’s somewhat worse (50mm hull plates under mediocre slope, with very thin 12mm parts under heavy slope – autobounce guaranteed), but it’s not bad. Turret front as you can see is actually pretty tough (aiming at turret is pointless): thick mantlet, set in a very thick (95 to 150mm!) frame, with the rest of the frontal turret place being respectable 75mm thick. The hull sides are of course paper, so you will want to keep that thick turret between you and the enemy, otherwise you will get overmatch-oneshotted before you manage to say “Banzai!” – only 25mm (compared to T-25′s 45mm). Turret sides are thick enough (50mm), but again, compared to T-25, they are worse. T-25 however more hitpoints (610 to 470). With the exception of turret front, T-25 wins here, so you might want to keep your hull down with the CNK. If there is however something that this tank excels in, it’s the firepower. 124 penetration and 125 damage with 12 ROF is not as good as T-25′s DPM (1500 vs T-25′s 1670), but it is still very good. T-25 gun has also less penetration, but the 8mm difference isn’t too much. The depression and elevation is okay, but it is not stellar (-6,5/+20). The CNK gun can be brought to bear by a quite a fast-rotating turret (30 degrees/sec, compared to T-25′s 22 deg/sec), but in a straight up duel (unless the CNK is hulldown), T-25 will outshoot it. CNK gun is also quite accurate (0,37) so you can keep your distance and let ‘em have it. For this, the CNK has one significant advantage: 350 viewrange, compared to T-25′s 320. And now we come to the third part of the “holy trinity”, the mobility. Here, T-25 wins definitely I am afraid. CNK is quite a sluggish tank. While it can go as fast as 40km/h downhill, its weak 240hp engine just won’t push it fast enough even on levelled ground. What is even worse: the acceleration is quite terrible, this is NOT a fast medium tank. What a potential buyer should also beware is its sluggish traverse on soft surfaces. While it has good traverse on paper (38 deg/s compared to 32 deg/s of Panzer IV for example) and potentially good terrain resistance, the weak engine lets it down terribly. While not fatal in most circumstances, this definitely is a problem on soft terrain and when trying to out-turn a tank destroyer. Don’t also expect to outrun anyone. With that being said, I think there is another sort of “hidden” issue with CNK: it loves to explode from ammoracks for some reason. I am not sure where the ammo is located, but I noticed many more explosions than I normally do. Could be bad luck, could be a flaw, can’t say. Of course, there are two more factors in the decision whether to buy the Chi-Nu Kai or not. First (an argument for buying) is that this will allow you to train your Japanese crew in advance. That’s right, no placeholder crews, even the camo and iscriptions are there. Everything’s ready for the Japanese tree. Second argument(against buying) however is that this vehicle will appear only in gift shop in 0.8.9 (you won’t be able to buy it for gold, only for cash) – and it’s possible (not guaranteed) that the Japanese branch will come as early as 0.9.0, so you won’t have the crew prepared, if you wait for it to appear in the ingame gold shop. Personally, I am undecided, but I think I’ll wait for it to appear in the ingame shop. There is no need to feed WG money (I still have a part of that Superpershing gold) when you can get it for gold later (well, if you have it). Overall, it’s a nice tank, but it is neither stunning or a must have. At long distances, it will outperform the T-25, but on medium to short distances, the T-25 is somewhat better. It leans towards sniper role, definitely not a brawler. SS Rating: 7/10 T-44-85 This is finally the tier 7 Soviet premium vehicle. Now, as some of you probably know, I am not that fond of Soviet tanks. When I started playing WoT, I did want the T-54 because of how cool it looked, so I unlocked it after months of grind, but the truth is, it didn’t sit well with me, just like its predecessor, the T-44. Therefore, I was a bit skeptical about this new vehicle, especially with a 126 pen gun on tier 7. But overall, it’s actually pretty good. One of the first things that need to be said is that this tank has limited MM as far as I know. I think it was even confirmed by SerB or Storm or whoever, but I don’t think it’ll see tier 9′s. Keep that in mind when considering the rest, please. This tank has really good frontal armor for its tier. Sloped 75mm can bounce with proper angling 150 pen shots from 75mm L/70 and sometimes even more penetrating stuff. The turret is well armored as well. The gun is its weakspot however: 85mm ZIS S-53 126 pen, 160 damage and 0,42 accuracy won’t make anyone shake with fear. Depression is also mediocre (-6/+20). Luckily, there is the rate of fire: 12,5 ROF (2000 DPM) is not bad! The penetration is… well, not good, but sufficient to attack anything from behind. You’ll have to work for your kills a bit, no “lolbushsniping” for you! With that accuracy however, you won’t be sniping anyone, this vehicle is a brawler thru and thru. And for brawling, you need two things: accuracy on the move and mobility. The first part is ensured by the fact this vehicle can in fact mount vertical stabilizer, Continue reading →

More...