“I got 99 problems and the portal quality sure is one” Hello everyone, I actually thought for quite some time whether to make a post on it or not, but it’s pretty much a widely recognized problem. Let’s start with a bit of a background. Lots of you fine folks reading FTR have probably asked yourself at one point: “Why does a random guy do this, when WG could simply hire an employee to do the translations of developer staff, post more historical articles and such?” There are two answers for that – or, rather, one answer and two parts. First is “accountability” (simply put, the fact that when I screw up a translation, I can say sorry, fix it and nothing happens, when a WG employee screws it up, it’s like spreading false info), but this is not relevant to this article, we are going to talk about the second more. The second answer is that for some reason, Wargaming wants all the national portals (sections) to have the same info at the same time, so everything that gets posted in English HAS to get posted in other languages. This by itself is IMHO pretty stupid (community people do a great job at translation, for example Raguel’s and Stormshadow’s German translation thread, the French QA thread and more), but whatever. The real problem starts, when you hire incompetent people or externists, who have absolutely no clue, to translate the news into national languages and to manage the portal. I am now talking specifically about the Czech portal. Ask on Czech subforums – ask anyone, they will tell you that the Czech portal is full of fail and rarely an article goes without some silly mistranslation or incorrect information. A few examples. A gift shop Early October offer in Czech seems to be missing some parts (the 30 days premium, later it was fixed): Looks like the Czechs are going to get a new tier 10 tank destroyer: Mid October Gift Shop offer had wrong description under the T-34-3 tank (someone just copied the 112 one under it), this was fixed later, but this post refers to it. Or, some info is released too early, because Czech WG section doesn’t bother to check what they are posting. Or that case with wrong dates in the Golden Joystick competition rules: Or the translation fails, like the last Listy’s article, that did use some unorthodox terminology (won’t make much sense if I write it in English, but the person who translated that did not use the proper used terms at some points, or did not bother to translate words at all, such as howitzer, in Czech “houfnice”). Or – when the missions were announced – various fails in mission translations (premium vehicles are/aren’t included part). And these are only the recent two months’ cases (I haven’t been on this that long) – this has been going on for months now. I don’t know if other national portals have such issues too, but the Czech one is pretty terrible. I mean – sure, it gets fixed after the players call it out, but I think those mistakes shouldn’t be there in the first place. After all, those people are paid enough not to make them. It’s a shame to have players calling you out on that. And you don’t have to trust me on this, you can ask any Czech players that are active in English forums too that I am right, the Czech portal is a mess. Another problem is that some (not sure how many) translations are done by an external translation company, who is as you can see, not very good. Why WG hires externists I have absolutely no idea. Anyway, do other portals have these issues too, or is it just a “Czech” thing? Solution: Well, every good rant should have a solution proposal at the end. It’s really simple: pay more damned attention to what you post and translate and for heaven’s sake, proofread the posts before it goes out. I don’t have to, I am a blogger (but I try to). You do, you are employees.

More...