Hello everyone, just a quick “guide” – or more like explanation why there was a removal of the 3-caliber rule for HEAT shells in 8.9. What do patchnotes tell us? - Removed the rule for HEAT shells that excludes ricochet if the shell’s calibre exceeds the armour thickness by 3 or more times. - Deflection angle for HEAT shells changed from 80 to 85 degrees. As you can see, the three caliber rule excludes ricochet, if the caliber of the gun exceeds the nominal (!) armor thicknes by 3 or more times. Note that three is included in this. What it means is that 90mm+ shells (or, to be exact, shells from a 90mm+ gun) cannot ricochet on a 30mm armor. This is called “overmatch”, or “overmatch by 3″ (there is also a 2 caliber overmatch, but that isn’t very important now, I will simplify for the sake of explanation). They always hit. However, does this mean they will penetrate? Of course not. You see, the entire situation was not very intuitive for a player. When a player is aware of the “no ricochet” overmatch rules, he can shoot at a 30mm armor with a 90mm gun under extreme angles and expect it to penetrate. After all, I have a 90mm gun and he has only a 30mm armor, that has to penetrate, right? Much to their surprise, the shell often does not penetrate. Why? Because at early ricochet angle (80 degrees), a 30mm the armor is effectively 172mm thick (and that’s only on one axis, so I should say “no less than 172mm”). At 85 degrees (well within the “no ricochet rule zone”) it’s already no less than 344mm. I am sure you can see where this is going. Removing the 3 ricochet rule for HEAT shells (that have high penetration) and moving the ricochet boundary to 85 degrees assures that when a player hits a 30mm armor at 84 degrees, he’ll have to defeat 287mm armor (hard, but possible with tier 10 shells), while 85 degrees will already ricochet: the player would (even with a tier 10 gun firing HEAT) not be able to penetrate the armor at 85 degrees anyway, but he would hear “did not penetrate their armor” instead of “ricochet” and that’s not intuitive. Now, the player will hear “ricochet” and will know he didn’t do damage because of the extreme angle and not because of the armor thickness. I hope it’s clear for you folks. Or at least clearer :)

More...