So, here’s something I’ve been thinking about since yesterday. The roaming mechanism. For those who still don’t know what it is: it will allow players from one server (say, RU) to play on another server (EU). While it sounds like a good idea at first, it has several significant flaws, that make me think it’s really not a good idea overall. First, there is the technical aspect. Russian and North American servers are far from one another, ping will not make it viable (when I log on NA:East, I have 130-200ms ping, not exactly good enough for proper gameplay). The only place where roaming will work properly I can imagine is the EU-RU roaming (some RU servers are located on the same place as EU servers: both EU1 and RU3 are in Munich, RU7 and EU2 are in Amsterdam), allowing for games with good ping. Well, fair enough. The main (advertised) reason for roaming is a) to try new things (new servers, different kinds of gameplay) b) to play with your friends, that play on other servers c) tournaments To be completely blunt: I think a) is not needed (noobs are the same everywhere) and b) concers like 0,01 percent of players. I mean: how many of you have a friend, that doesn’t play on your cluster, but you really, REALLY want to play with him? Or have any “legitimate” reason why you want to play on a different server, like for example you moved, to another continent, but want to use old account? I know of two-three such players and both are very decent people, but I still think this concerns only a minority. Tournaments are a different matter entirely, but again, they concern a minority of players. I think (and this is just my opinion – I’d actually like to be proved wrong) that majority of the players, interested in roaming (apart from those who will try it once, then go “meh” and return to their own server) will be in it to cause trouble. Why do I think it? Well, for one, Wargaming caters to such players. Why do I think that? Well, there are many indications. Two days ago, I posted a screenie, where Russian roaming supertesters make jokes of communism. Let’s disregard what I or someone else thinks of communism – such “jokes” will just provoke people. And this is from RU supertesters (in other words, “trusted” players). I think we can imagine how “regular” players will look like. After that post, I recieved several hate mails from Russians (one I even posted earlier on FB), basically calling me an idiot for comparing communism to nazism and promising to cause as much trouble as they can on EU servers, such as this one from one Mr.Kirill Jakunin (I was like ‘uh, what?’): This is the kind of people the roaming will attract. But wait, there’s more… I think that at this point (if only by using the Occam razor rule) we all suspected that the supertest leaks are controlled by Wargaming. Indeed it is so, it was confirmed to me by Zlobny or Cannoneer (can’t remember, will look it up if needed). Leaks are controlled. Such was the case with the STB-1 (posted earlier) and yesterday’s leak of Type 61 model. However, Wargaming works with some really “cool” people. Instead of releasing any leaked content without screwing it up, they add watermarks. Fair enough, no problem. Only… these are very special watermarks. It comes from the Russian imageboard (a proper shithole, something like the Russian version of /b/). And this is the kind of people Wargaming works with – I am sure the Polish players appreciate WG employees and co-workers releasing such art, especially in connection with the Stalin affair. I can only imagine what the regular players will behave like. The “Japanese photoshop masters” will eventually clean this shit, but you get my point. Conclusion Personally, despite the fact many players are waiting for this option, I think roaming is a bad idea. For very limited gain (inter-server tournaments, cases of friends wanting to roam to one another), you will get hordes of trolls, using the option to roam specifically to cause trouble. To be fair to Russian players: I think we have our share of idiots that will go do the same thing – and that’s exactly my point. We have our own “tomatoes”, we really don’t need more trolls and morons around. Anyway, I still hope WG realizes all this and will focus on creating a mechanism to get rid of such trolls quickly. And if not… well, I can imagine the “kill the Russians” competition on FTR, with rewards for the best headhunter :) One way or another, this has to be managed. PS: do NOT discuss the politics under this article, please.

More...