Hello everyone, today we are going to have a look at the new 8.9 tier 6 vehicle, the Nashorn. Let me start by posting that a lot of people actually waited for this vehicle and – along with the tier 7 Sfl.V, also known as Sturer Emil, this famous vehicle of the War War 2 might have ended up being a victim of the classic tank hype. I mean, 88mm L/71 at tier 6, when the other German tier 6 tank destroyer is the infamous Jagdpanzer IV? That HAS to be good, right? Well, the gun isn’t everything, but this time, it came out just about right. I find the Nashorn to be possibly the most overpowered vehicle in the game at this moment. But let’s start from the beginning. As usual, I ran this vehicle with a full camo crew, a camo net, binoculars and a rammer. On first glance, the Nashorn is not very assuming. It continues very well the line tradition: it’s very fragile, yet fairly mobile, has great gun (88mm L/71) and very good viewrange. I must say I practically started it in elite state: the engines (being low tier) are very easy and cheap to unlock (2000 XP for both) and though they provide only a somewhat meh upgrade (250 to 300 horsepower), the difference can very much be felt, especially with the top gun. The tracks are not expensive either and they are very, very important. I had the top gun unlocked from the Jagdpanther – it’s worth noting that this is the last vehicle where such an unlock is possible: further on the guns very much differ, despite sometimes (well, most of the time) being copies of the guns that already existed in the game before. They just renamed them (with the usual “lol different mount” excuse) to prolong the grind. Logical, but annoying. Nashorn slowly leaves the “race car” concept of the previous two vehicles and starts to be more balanced. It is in fact this balance that makes it so great. Let’s have a look at its important elements: Armor Non-existent. The superstructure is 10mm thick, the gunshield is 15mm thick, frontal hull again 15mm and the lower front plate is the “toughest”: 30mm. Unless you free-XP’d the previous two vehicles, you already know the name of the game: you get spotted, you die. Nashorn however (and this is a subjective evaluation) seems to lack the “XP pinata” attention the Sfl.IVc (tier 5) gets. Sure, people don’t ignore it completely, but it’s not like everyone starts shooting at you the second you get spotted, luckily for you. Nashorn cannot stand any real punishment, HE shells (on this tier pretty much any HE) penetrate it for full damage and an artillery hit equals an instakill, which is something you need to avoid. Mobility Mobility is good. Thanks to very cheap upgrades of tracks and engines, you get access to its full potential early on. However, it starts to feel like a tank destroyer and not like a really fast light tank with a big gun, which is also good. Why? Well, take it like this: a vehicle has to be balanced. In other words, if you give it buffs where it doesn’t really matter for a tank destroyer (turret, mobility – like in Hellcat’s case), you won’t have spare buffs where it really matters (the gun, camouflage). In this case, the mobility is just right – you won’t race around the map anymore like in Sfl.IVc, but you will get where you need to go quickly enough in order to catch the first wave of enemies without having enough time to make a tea everytime your vehicle starts climbing a hill (this will become very annoying on tier 7). This can specifically be seen in Karelia assault mode, where by the time you climb the “ledge” to snipe and pick a side, your forces will arrive to engage the enemy. The maximum speed is 40 km/h and this vehicle can somewhat reach it on flat surfaces. For its 24 tons, the 300hp engine is adequate. Sadly, the engine doesn’t transfer from anywhere (but the Hummel, if you have it unlocked), whereas the top gun appears on Jagdpanther, Jagdpanther II and Ferdinand, so chances are if you like German TD’s, youll have it very soon. Gun As you might have guessed, gun is this vehicle’s strong side. Right from the start: putting the L/71 on a tier 6 tank destroyer is brutal. It is more than sufficient and I never EVER had an urge to reload gold shells. It’s simply not needed. Apart from stuff like KV-5, you will be able to penetrate pretty much everything on any distance without firing specifically for weakspots. But let’s talk about camo first, because as I wrote before, this TD relies on not being seen and the camouflage factor is a part of it. The camouflage is good, completely sufficient. The vehicle is not as huge as the tier 5 one and fits behind most bushes and hills. It’s also compact (not overly long – an issue that you will see on tier 7 and 8). A very important fact (perhaps the most important of all) is that just like the tier 4 and tier 5 tanks, Nashorn has good gun traverse. Not as good as T4 (28 degrees) or T5 (24 degrees), but 15 degrees to each side is again very sufficient, you almost never feel the lack of the traverse. Back to camo: good traverse means that if you position yourself properly, you won’t have to move your hull often. For some strange reason, I have the feeling (didn’t specifically test it though) that moving the hull has relatively bigger demasking effect than on other tank destroyers. This might however be caused by the fact that the traverse arc is so wide that by the time you “run out of traverse”, the enemy covered already a huge distance and is relatively closer to you. Either way, I strongly urge you NOT to move the hull until you have to. I noticed that a lot of newbie/noob Nashorn drivers do two things lately: first, they park INSIDE the bush (pointless, you have to be behind it) and – what is even more annoying to others – they try to cover the entire map from the vantage point and move the hull all the time. That means they INSTANTLY lose not only the camonet bonus, but also 40 percent of the regular camo factor for hull movement. If you add in the fact that shooting the gun (which has a muzzle brake – that in WoT terms Continue reading →

More...