Hello everyone, as usual, I will add some vehicle feedback for the new Japanese vehicles. Keep in mind everything here is my personal point of view, I don’t claim it to be the One Truth or anything like that. To give you a profile: I am an average player with preference of tank destroyers and medium tanks. I don’t like heavy tanks and I never played SPG’s (apart from test battles). Tier 2 MT Chi-Ni Solid. On this tier the armor doesn’t play much of a role, but generally it is vulnerable to pretty much everything on the field (still, I assume everyone shoots gold ammo on test server, so it’s hard to evaluate). The mobility is average, the vehicle turns well, but is not very fast. Guns are nice, but the top 57mm derp is pretty insane. It aims long and is very inaccurate (the vehicle has to stand for any aimed fire to be possible), but it’s damage is MASSIVE. Despite the fact HE shells do 20 more damage and only have one milimeter less penetration, I had better success with the AP shells actually, for some reason the 57mm HE gets “eaten” a lot and does very little damage. Of course, when it DOES some damage, it hurts like hell. Definitely a somewhat defensive tank. SS Rating: 6/10 Tier 3 MT Chi-Ha No. It’s pretty much the same vehicle as the Chinese one, only a medium tank instead of a light one, which probably means higher MM weight. The armor is bad (as you’d expect). The gun is decent (reasonable ROF and damage), but aims quite long. For some reason, this vehicle suffers from a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of crew deaths and engine damage, I had a dead gunner in pretty much every battle. This goes for Chi-Ni too, but not as much. As a defensive vehicle it’s okay, but it’s generally slow, sluggish and hopeless on soft ground, seems to have quite poor terrain passability. The armor is of course quite thin. SS Rating: 2,5/10 Tier 4 MT Chi-He It gets better with the Chi-He. This tank is a decent rapid-firing medium. While somewhat underpowered with the 240hp engine of the Chi-Ha, it doesn’t feel nearly as sluggish. It’s special in two respects: first, the top configuration (with the Ho-I turret) was actually a self-propelled gun in real life, not a medium tank. Also, it’s one of those tanks where the top gun is not necesserily the best. You have basically a choice: a low-alpha 57mm rapid-fire gun, or a 75mm gun, that has somewhat lower penetration (70 compared to 87), ROF (15 compared to 25), but has higher alpha. The main drawback of the 75mm gun the fact it is horribly inaccurate (0,53). I had very bad results with it and I really recommend using the 57mm, as it is easier to handle for someone who’s not an unicum. All three tanks have pretty good depression – use it for hulldown. The armor is of course quite thin (50 milimeters on turret and hull both), so try not to take too much of a beating. Overall however it’s an improvement over the Chi-Ha. SS Rating: 5/10 Tier 5 MT Chi-Nu Well… it’s a workhorse. It won’t have you scream with joy everytime you take it out on a spin, but it works. Basically, it’s a Panzer IV with its L/48 75mm with better depression (however, the tank is so tall I didn’t feel the need to use it), but less armor and mobility. The rate of fire is good and the penetration is better than that of the the L/48, but the vehicle is very, very fragile. You will burn worse than Paul Walker’s Carrera and if you expose your hull and pretty much everything will penetrate that 50mm armor, sometimes even overmatching it (nasty). The mobility is sufficient (unless you want to go scouting or stuff like that), but too poor for this vehicle to be an effective flanker. Also, its size and silhouette makes it about as stealthy an a fridge in the middle of a forest, so that doesn’t work. Personally, I’d play it as a turretted tank destroyer. Its viewrange is sufficient for that and it will prepare you nicely for what is to come. You might have noticed the lowtier mediums to be lackluster (to put it mildly), but it will get better. SS Rating: 4/10 Tier 6 MT Chi-To Well, Chi-To is like Chi-Nu on steroids. It has almost the exact traits, just a tier higher. It’s HUGE, but its mobility is okay (on hard terrain you easily snap the maximum speed of 40 km/h with the top engine). On its tier, it’s probably capable of some flanking, even though the size is a dead giveaway and makes it complicated to avoid detection. Its gun is decent – while not as good as the German L/70, it fires very fast and has excellend DPM. The aimtime and accuracy are not that bad either. DPM overall is one of the advantages of Japanese medium tanks. The armor however is (traditionally) poor: 75mm is not exactly a win on tier 6 and since it’s not sloped either, you won’t bounce much. It’s thus reasonable to avoid close combat (that would hurt you) and snipe at distance with that gun, using your sufficient mobility to take cover when things get too hot. The low alpha of the gun requires long distance combat, peek-a-boom is not really an option. Overall, this tank has no debilitating drawbacks, but it’s not something you would keep in a garage for the love of it. Unless you consider it your daughter that is. SS Rating: 6/10 Tier 7 MT Chi-Ri Chi-Ri was the ultimate evolution of Imperial Japanese tank engineering, a vehicle that can slug it out with a Sherman easily. It is also the last Japanese tank to use the 5 man crew, tier 8,9 and 10 use 4 man crews. In the game however, given the fact it’s on tier 7, it’s nowhere near the monster it was destined to be in real life. First, there is its size. This tank is HUGE – and I mean HUGE, probably bigger than the King Tiger. Size doesn’t automatically mean armor however and Chi-Ri proves that by having 75mm unsloped (!) armor on tier 7. You can imagine how well that does work: you can forget that, pretty much everything will penetrate you. It’s not all doom and gloom however, as the vehicle is surprisingly mobile for its size, even in hilly terrain. It’s also quite fast, reaching its top speed around 40km/h on flat Continue reading →

More...