Hello everyone, in part 1, I wrote about the new Japanese medium tanks. Now I will write about the light tanks and the Soviet two medium tanks. Same rules apply as in part 1 – 100 percent crew, full equipment. As for my experience with light and medium tanks: I did play the Chaffee branch, worked okay for me – and currently I am running mostly the T-54 tank, which does not work too well, but not too bad either. Tier 2 LT Type 95 Ha-Go The first thing that comes to my mind when talking about this little tank is “compact” and solid. The tank itself is tiny (how the hell did three people fit in, I have no idea), but well armed. You basically have a choice of two guns: the 37mm (40 PEN, 45 DAM, 26,09 ROF, 0,44 ACC) or the 57mm (29 PEN, 75 DAM, 17,65 ROF and 0,5 ACC). I tried both and both require a different gamestyle. The 37mm is an all-rounder and I feel more comfortable with it. Its accuracy is poor, but it fires quickly and it shells fly reasonably fast too. It works, unless you are trying to shoot at 200m in full speed. The 57mm is basically a derpgun: it has an option to fire either 29 PEN and 75 DAM AP shots, or 28 PEN and 95 DAM HE. In my opinion the AP shells work better, because they are predictable. The very low penetration is of course a problem when encountering stuff above tier 2, but against tier 2 and 3 opponents, the 57mm shots can cause real devastation, IF they hit. The gun is extremely inaccurate, the shells fly via high arcs and they fly slow. Sniping is not an option (unless the target just stands there) and you won’t hit any moving targets at all, close combat works the best. The AP shells IMHO work better than the HE ones: HE ones get a LOT of “eaten” shells and shells that damage targets only partially because spaced armor/tracks get it etc. But of course, in close combat you are very vulnerable. Ha-Go is slow – very slow. While its maximum speed is theoretically sufficient (40 km/h), weak engine (135hp) and probably poor terrain passability make it accelerate slowly and it’s not maneuverable either, BT-2 will run in circles around you. Ha-Go is definitely inferior to BT-2 overall, it is both outmaneuvered and outgunned. The armor is of course negligible (although the 35mm thick turret sometimes has some troll bounces), everything will cut through you like a butter, especially machineguns and low caliber autocannons are dangerous. My advice would be to stay in 2nd line and support your brawlers by precise 37mm fire, while advancing slowly. SS Rating: 6/10 Tier 3 LT Type 98 Ke-Ni Definitely an improvement. This tier 3 light tank is not bad. It’s quite maneuverable and fast, it accelerates well (could be better, but it’s sufficient) and on flat surface it reaches its maximum speed (50km/h) quite fast. The armor is of course negligible again (16mm hull, 35mm turret), but it has an improved 37mm cannon, that is much better than the one of Ha-Go: improved penetration (58), same ROF, much better accuracy (0,37) – with that, you can deal with anything of your tier and tier below. Tier 5 armor of course poses a problem, but you are not there to knock out KV tanks. I discovered this vehicle works well as a passive scout: it seems to have very good camo factor and with 310m viewrange (and binoculars + camo net), it is quite difficult to spot. I like it. Of course, it’s not a “main battle tank”, but against other light tanks it can stand its ground. It’s very vulnerable to rapidfire autocannons though, beware of those. SS Rating: 7/10 Tier 4 LT Type 5 Ke-Ho So… this is tank that’s big as a medium tank and slower than medium tanks of its tier. With a 57mm gun. Oh yes, and it has scout matchmaking. You can probably see where this is going. My personal opinion is that this tank is atrocious. It’s a scout (on live server, you will probably get into tier 4 battles about as often as in Panzer 38tNA), but unlike the Panzer 38tNA, it’s big as a house and definitely not easy to hide. It’s also heavy for a light tank (10,5t) and underpowered (150hp engine). Well, 150 horsepower doesn’t sound that bad, but it’s a SCOUT: Panzer 38tNA has 274 hp for its elite 12 tons. Ke-Ho can barely reach its top speed (50 km/h) on flat surface, but any hills or boggy terrain will slow you down tremendously. It also turns slowly: technically it has 60 deg/s tracks, but in reality, it cannot even outturn a Hetzer properly. It’s way too slow to be an active scout and way too big to be a passive one. Passive scouting might work better than active, but you won’t outrun anyone and the 57mm gun (while somewhat better than the 50mm L/60) is not stellar either. It’s reasonably accurate, fires well and it can deal with threats on your own tier, but against tier 5 or even 6 it is hopeless. I have a really bad feeling that this tank will become the “new A20/Pz38tNA” and if you want to get to top Japanese tiers, you’d be better off taking the medium line and save yourself the nerves. SS Rating 2/10 Tier 9 MT Object 430 Version II Actually, as much as I hate rear turretted tanks, this one is not so bad. I had some fun playing this vehicle and I think it actually works reasonably well, considering its design. You probably already noticed it’s very flat, which makes it a small target in theory (in game it however doesn’t matter so much, because when you’re going uphill or downhill, this advantage is negated. It has very poor depression and elevation for both available guns (-4/+16) and its turret actually turns only 90 degrees to each side. That however is compensated by the fact that the turret is practically invulnerable (248mm frontal armor) and the frontal armor is 120mm thick (under 65 degrees IIRC). I’d compare it to the T-54 frontal plate. Of course, on test server everyone fires gold ammunition, so it’s hard to test it properly, but I think it will work. There are two guns available (both 100mm) and the choice is the same as in T-54: either you take the (stock) gun that has only 201 pen (the other is the T-54 D-54 gun with 218 pen, if you unlocked it on Continue reading →

More...