Hello everyone, so, here’s a thought. Yesterday, XZ linked me this War Thunder beta video. No, don’t worry, I won’t bash War Thunder (in fact I find the graphic very, very good and it will take World of Tanks a while to catch up) and yes, I do know this is just closed beta. Just watch it. * * Well as you can see, War Thunder will have flippable tanks. Some time ago, Storm announced that World of Tanks will have this too, which got me thinking: do we REALLY need this one? It’s obvious War Thunder influenced Wargaming plans more or less – even Storm admitted so. Some things it has good, some thing it has bad, but it does have influence. I am not sure that flippable tanks is something that was War Thunder inspired (I doubt that, since it was first mentioned a long time ago, when the War Thunder tanks were not even announced), but if it was, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea after all. Let’s look at both the advantages and disadvantages of tank flipping. Advantages - more “realistic” tank behavior. Although I think this is sort a moot point in a computer game, it’s obvious that in real life things (even tanks) do flip over. Therefore, adding this option will bring the game one step closer towards the realistic movement model. Whether that itself is a good thing however, I have no idea. Disadvantages - more noob suicides. This one is obvious. Just like in real life, when you are a bad driver and don’t handle your vehicle properly, you will end up crashing. Right now, we only have noobs jumping off the ledges or getting stuck in holes, but now we will have noobs making flips over terrain obstacles (especially with light and fast tanks). In case you don’t realize it: no, a noob suicide on your team is not a good thing – as funny as it is to see a noob suicide, it weakens your team: even a bad player in light tank can suicide scout, giving you at least a chance to shoot at the spotted enemy, but he can’t do it when he just drove his light tank over a hill at full speed, flipping it on the roof. How many more suicides will this generate? I don’t know. Could be not many, could be a LOT, depending on the tuning of this option. I certainly wouldn’t however want it as easy as it is shown in the video above. - game harder to learn for newbies. Again, this might not appear as a disadvantage first, but it is. World of Tanks is a F2P model game and therefore it is dependent on the “crowd” and on the attraction of new players. The harder the game is to learn (and having your tank flipped on the roof does not contribute to the game being easy to learn in any way), the less players it will attract and while some self-proclaimed “masters” of this game might consider this a good thing (less “reds”, right?), this point of view is very shortsighted, as it is this crowd of newbies, that also contributes to the game economy and keeps it running. - more pointless and stupid deaths. Unless there is a “flip me back on tracks” button (like in racing games – and I doubt there will be one, since that would create totally unpredictable tank behavior – you want to shoot a tank on its back and it suddently flips back), getting flipped on your back is the end. There is nothing you can do with it. In best case, you will get destroyed immediately and allowed to leave the game. In absolutely worst case, you will flip over and… well, will have to wait until the battle is over (I really hope that won’t happen). At this moment, unless you get killed outright by ramming or something, there is always the possibility to DO something. Example: yesterday, I had a battle where I missed a shot with my KV-1S on a Hellcat, so I rammed him at full speed, nearly tipping him over to one side. He got massive damage from the ram and a detrack and since he didn’t repair it, I shot him once I reloaded. But if he actually repaired the tracks, he might have gotten away from me and survived. If the flipping was enabled, he would have flipped on its side/back and he’d be finished. That might sound realistic physics-wise, but it will bring only more frustration into the game. - more trolls. We will get a special kind of idiots, running around, tipping people over. Now they can just – you know, ram and that’s it. If they can however tip you over, oh boy, some people I know will have a field day. Hellcat camping in a bush? Let’s ram it with an IS and tip him over. This will force Wargaming to implement some sort of teamkill detection, based on who tipped who, which in turn will again be exploited by trolls, looking for ways to break it etc. Conclusion No, I think we really don’t need this stuff. For a dubious gain of “more realism”, we will get more frustrating suicides, kills and hopeless situations. And what is your opinion? PS: One more thing actually caught my eye in the video: Waffen SS insignia. Nice. Good luck distributing it in Germany.

More...