Hello everyone, today, we are going to have a look at the fake vehicles in World of Tanks. Please note that by a “fake vehicle”, I don’t necesserily mean various unhistorical configurations (there are TONS of those), but I will mention them too briefly. The problem with World of Tanks is that it is the victim of its own success in a way. There can be no doubt that it was World of Tanks, that revived the interest in armor in general audience, not just the usual armchair generals, historians, tank enthusiasts etc. Suddenly, tanks are mainstream and with that comes the fact that given how World of Tanks was advertised as a “historical” and “realistic” game (just look at the flashback trailer from this year, you know, the one with unhistorical FV215b), players take the game also as an “encyclopedia” of sorts and take the vehicles in it as real. In this sense, Wargaming sends a mixed message – some vehicles are practically ultra-historical, down to the precise armor angles and thicknesses (IS-3 is very historical), others are complete fakes, but since WG advertised the game as “realistic”, a lot of people believe these vehicles were real and that is possibly the thing I find I find most annoying about Wargaming: promoting fakes. Possibly the most historical and realistic in the game is the Soviet tree (obviously, given the fact Yuri Pasholok has access to Russian archives), followed by the Japanese tree and possibly (?) Chinese tree. French tree is also fine, but the British tree is seriously screwed up, followed by the American tree and the German tree having it worst. Let’s have a look at them. Soviet Union/strong> Well… as far as I can tell, there are no blatantly fake tanks in the Soviet tree. This is (apart from the abovementioned reason of having Yuri Pasholok on board) also apparently influenced by the fact that the “home playerbase” (closest to the developers) is – obviously – Russian. There were a lot of tank (and warfare) fans in Russia in general even before WoT (unlike in Europe) and Soviet fakes would be probably the hardest to get away with. One of the least historical tanks is the LTP, which was basically created after the drawings of Lt.Provornov (the name means “Legkij tank Provornova” – Provornov’s Light Tank), who however was not a tank designer, he was an amateur. In 1942, he submitted his drawings to the Soviet inventions committee, who refused the project, but stored the drawings in their archive and when they were discovered by Yuri Pasholok, it was decided to actually implement the tank, since the drawings were very detailed – a fitting tribute to the effort of various amateur inventors like Lt.Provornov, submitting their designs to the Red Army for evaluation, hoping to contribute to the war effort. Some Soviet tanks have their historical parameters somewhat changed (IS-7 had much higher rate of fire and mobility in real life for example), but overall, Soviet branch doesn’t have made-up vehicles as far as I can tell. Japan Japanese tree is probably as historical as it gets. The reason for that was the extensive involvement of people, who actually speak Japanese (other non-Russian tree research relied a lot on western literature), the tree setup was consulted with them and overall, it came out nicely. No fakes there. China The obvious problem with China is that – well, it’s China. Without reading Chinese, you won’t get far and even then, the Chinese tanks are very obscure. We know that the lowtier tanks are historical (there are photos from the Chinese civil war), we know that the Taiwanese Type 64 is also historical, we know that the high tiers are historical (Type 62, Type 59), but as for the tier 10 heavy and medium, the entire stages of WZ-111 research, the light tanks and the T-34-1, T-34-2 and T-34-3? Or the 112? Hell if I know. There is no western literature on these vehicles as far as I can tell. Wargaming claims they were modelled after “plans provided by the Chinese partners”, but apart from Wargaming staff noone has ever seen those plans, so it’s completely possible these tanks might be Wargaming inventions or even fake stuff fabricated by their Chinese partner. Whether that is the case or not, we will probably never know. France To be completely honest, I am not sure here. Apart from some unhistorical setups (why is there a German LeFH in French tree? Or the Marder I?), I don’t think that any French tanks are complete Wargaming fakes, but I could be wrong. Yes, as far as we know, even Foch 155 is a historical project, but it was more like a “napkin tank” with one drawing or a single mention in existence, something like “it would be really cool to put a 155mm gun on Foch”. There was some confusion with the BatChat and the BatChat artillery, but I am really not sure how much of it is true or not. Sorry. United Kingdom Now we are getting to the “good” stuff. British tree is arguably the most broken tree out there. Tier 10 heavy tank FV215b is a complete fake, there never was a project to import the 120mm gun on the FV215b chassis. We can only guess what led Wargaming to make this tank up, but I personally think it was the combination of two factors: recycling and laziness. You see, creating an entirely new historical model costs money – and not just chump change. Someone has to fly somewhere, dig through the archives (in this case, probably Bovington), measure the stuff, research the stuff, model the stuff, test it etc etc etc. It’s way cheaper to actually take a modelled chassis you have, tweak the armor a bit, change the appearance a little and voila, new tank, much cheaper to create than – say – modelling a Chieftain. Chieftain generally has other issues (it might be OP), but I think this is what led to the fake FV215b. There might have also been the factor of time – you can’t take as long as you want to research tanks and you can simply run out of time – and when there’s no time, the only thing you can do is simply skip the entire research part and produce a fake. Another problematic thing is the FV4202, which (in its current setup) is also a fake. In real life, the armor was much thinner, the vehicle was never supposed to carry the L7 (just a 20pdr) and is generally screwed up in all sorts of ways. This was caused by the fact Continue reading →

More...