Hello everyone, well, I’ve finally done it. After postponing it for a very, very long time, I’ve finally installed World of Warplanes to try it out and to see how well it will fit with me – and to share my opinions and experiences with you. A little background first, so you know about how (un)biased I am. Let me start with saying that I hate flying in real life. Yea, I know, good start. But – that doesn’t prevent me apparently from trying out flying simulators, or, rather – arcade games in this case. I am saying this in advance so you know I am not fond of doing loopings 10 meters above ground and such stuff, but on the other hand, if necessity dictates, I can try. I played other simulator games, but that was a long, long time ago. Specifically, it was Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe, probably like 15 years ago. I know the absolute basics (like what flaps do and that it’s probably not a good idea to fly around with your landing gear open), but other than that, I am a complete newbie. I also have not seriously played War Thunder and I will not compare those two games. For now anyway. So, yes. The installation. Time to download. It went smooth (as expected), Wargaming really has the installation software sorted out. That’s really good. The only thing – I had to disable the “torrent download” in the loader, just like with World of Tanks, otherwise it went a bit slow. Well, no problem. 2 hours later… Okay, it’s installed. Good. Time to turn this thing on. I use my classic “Silentstalker” acount for the purpose of testing. Intro movie – okay, logging in and… Whoa. The hangar looks GORGEOUS. The plane is bleautifully rendered, I love it. My graphic card fan loves it a bit less apparently (hearing the sound not unlike an Abrams tank powering up), but whatever. What setting is this? So yes, first thing I went to do, I checked settings. I used practically the same settings for WoWp like for WoT. Medium details, shadows disabled, anti-aliasing and viewrange on full. The other settings I have no idea what they do, won’t touch them then, back to hangar. The plane still looks great, but the hangar is very unfamiliar. Why so many popups about new planes? Away with them. The “battle” button is down under the plane and looks like the interface was reworked too. Ugh. Me no like. It feels… I dunno. Chaotic. Checking randomly various screens like the camo options, the modules, looks like everything has unlimited ammo? What is the upkeep, repairs? Well, okay, whatever, let’s look for tutorial. So, clicking on tutorial and… I’m in battle and I am supposed to destroy some baloons. Looking around the screen, everything works smoothly, running at 60 FPS on the same details where WoT runs around 40-50? Nice! I also see the ping, but there is no lag indicator, which sucks, because I am having lag issues with WoT and I wanted to see, whether I will have them with WoWp. Controls are mouse – on default, so let’s try. Default controls are responsive, I like that. I don’t have to turn the plane by keyboard (I was afraid of that), I only move my mouse. I destroy the balloons quickly and then the plane that comes after them. So far so good. Well, after that comes the FUN part of the tutorial. First comes the “turning” combat. Now, I understand the concept of firing in front of the enemy plane so that the bullets hit it in flight, but they just fly all over the place. Can’t hit anything – this will require practice. The problem is, I put the mouse targetting reticle around the spot where I am supposed to aim, but the plane still feels sluggish and the machinegun fire just doesn’t “catch on”. By now I’d prefer to actually control the elevation and pitch with keyboard, but there is apparently no “combined” control scheme, so I left it at mouse. The second part of the “dogfight tutorial” (the “attack from above”) is even worse, I just can’t seem to hit the guy with majority of my bullets, took me two tries to get him down. Phew. Next. Team fight tutorial. So, I am supposed to take down five bots. Easy peasy (or so I thought). So, I fly at him, line up my shot, shooting, he’s down… and the other one fucking RAMMED me. Ramming bots in tutorial. Brilliant idea. At that point I was like what the actual FUCK? Seriously, ramming bots. Okay, second try went a lot smoother and after getting rid of five bots, I feel like the best air ace out there. Good. Time to test my mettle against human opponent! Plus, the tutorial is rewarded by gold. Nice. So, back in hangar, I was considering, which branch to actually level. I’ve read some reports on WoT forums that the heavy Germans are overpowered, I want something… I don’t know… average. Okay then, Americans or British (I like how Spitfire and Kittyhawk look). Americans? Okay, but… what the hell? The pilot looks like a RETARD. Time to change his appearance for the gold I made during the tutorial. But… I can’t? You can’t change pilot’s appearance? Why? Or did I miss some button that would allow it? Well… after a while of searching, I concluded I can’t and sold the US plane, leaving only the British one in the hangar (I like clean garage). Time to fight! So, the beginning of my first battle looks a lot like WoT, two teams, a countdown… nice. I am familiar with that. Ah, the map is called El-Halluf? Yay, is there that WoT valley out there somewhere? Can’t see it. Anyway, the engine overheat mechanism is also pretty familiar, so yea. My biplane actually looks kinda badass, so I’m quite content. I can only assume those red dots on the minimap are ground targets (why weren’t they mentioned in the tutorial? Or did I miss a ground attack tutorial somewhere?). Right, so, onward I fly to meet the enemy. Logic dictates I should start a battle with height advantage, so I climb as high as I can and… why is my engine stalling? Am I too high? Well, okay, they are below me. So I look down and I see pretty much everyone dogfighting at sea level. That’s not very safe. I’ll try to attack then. So, full speed ahead, dive, dive, dive! I’m going to rip them apart with my guns Continue reading →

More...