Hello everyone, today, after watching the 8.11 ASAP patch, I was actually quite surprised by the new “national battles” mode. Given the fact that I run a WoT blog, you can imagine I am not often surprised by something new announced publicly for WoT. But in this case, I was. Why was I surprised? Well, there are two reasons really. - first, Storm specifically said (a long time ago) this mode would NOT happen and ever since that time, noone bothered to ask about it anymore - second, it’s such a weird mode noone wants or needs that noone mentioned it for months, literally – not a peep Let’s have a look at it in a bit more detail though. The basic idea is that teams of tanks of one nation (and one nation only) will be fighting teams of tanks from a different nation. All German teams vs. all Soviet teams for example. So, take a deep breath and try to imagine the number of reasons this is a very, very bad idea. I came up with a few in seconds. My bad feeling about this is made even stronger by Storm openly stating that there will be no special MM rules for this kind of battle apart from the fact each side will have The main one is probably the fact that each nation has its characteristic tanks, suitable for a different style of gameplay. Russians have armor and massive, but inaccurate guns, Germans are (very basically said) snipers, the French are (apart from very low tiers) very lightly armored, the Americans are sort of jack-of-all-trades (but master of none) tanks and so on. The average playerbase however likes to derp around and the Soviet tanks in general are the most forgiving (if you make a mistake, you still get a chance to remedy it) and this will inherently be in an advantage versus all the other nations. Germans might potentially be the weakest, because their tanks require a specific gameplay style (if you go around rushing in a Tiger like you do in an IS tank, you will die very quickly). But that’s not all. Imagine again Soviet versus German teams, tier 6 battle. Remember that MM explanation video Wargaming made a while back? In it, you learned that the MM (apart from using the “basic” template in the beginning) actually modifies the basic battle template based on the current queue. That theoretically means that if one class of tanks is popular on that very respective tier, there will be more of those vehicles in the battle than usual. In our example of tier 6, we all know where the problem is. KV-1S is currently the most popular tank on both EU and US server, if I recall correctly (and if it isn’t, it’s probably second). There is a huge number of those going around and one of the effects it is is that tier 6 battles tend to be “bent” towards more heavies (as in, I am pretty sure tier 6 battles have more heavy tanks on average than – say – tier 8 battles). So, what you will have is for example a battle, where like 6-7 heavies on both teams correspond to the nation rule, which means the Soviets will get like 6-7 KV-1S tanks and to “counter” it, the Germans will have 6-7 VK3601H tanks and the Americans the M6 heavies. Good luck beating a KV-1S (in worst case driven by an experienced statpadder) with your VK3601H. You can imagine how this battle will probably go, the VK’s will get torn to pieces. There is no doubt that the KV-1S is overpowered and enabling this nation mode will ENSURE that your opponents will always be weaker (as long as you don’t end up in a tier 7/8 battle, but the amount of those will not change, so all in all it’s a buff). I am sure statpadders are very happy about this change. On tier 10, this situation is reversed. We all know how popular the tank destroyers are now on high tiers. You get 4-5 every battle. So, the Soviets will get 4-5 Object 268′s (nothing wrong with those, after the nerf I think they will do fine), while the Germans will get 4-5 WT E-100′s. Good luck beating that. There aren’t that many of those around yet, but wait for a few months, there will be more. And this situation repeats for every “broken” vehicle on any tier really. Prediction Unless “special” rules are introduced (stuff like “no more than X tanks of type Y in battle”, or such stuff, which Wargaming generally hates to do), I predict that this battle mode will end in failure. It is obvious that some battle setups will be clearly overpowered. This by itself is not such a problem (in current MM, some setups created are much stronger than others, for example when one team gets 3 KV-1S tanks and one M6, while the other gets 3 VK3601 and one M6), the real problem is that on certain tiers, such OP setups will now appear much often than before. I personally will test it on the test server, but if it ends like I think it will, I will almost certainly disable this option. Unless I feel like playing the KV-1S that is :)

More...