Hello everyone, by now, all of you dear readers are certainly aware of what’s going on in Ukraine. It might actually seem that it doesn’t affect Wargaming, so this issue has no place on FTR, but it actually does – for those, who do not know: Wargaming World of Warplanes studio is situated in Kiev and the developers (I think it was SerB personally) admitted that the situation there does influence Wargaming to some extent. What is currently going is that Russia is trying to seize control of the entire Crimean peninsula using its military forces. The official reason is the protection of ethnic Russians, who were allegedly persecuted by the new Ukraine government after president Janukovych was ousted from his office and fled to Russia. A lot of people compare the situation to Czechoslovakia in 1938, when Adolf Hitler, using blackmail and cowardice of former Czechoslovak allies, forced Czechoslovakia to secede its border regions at the pretense of “protecting ethnic Germans”. Now, almost 80 years later, we know very well it was a lie and where it led. These methods of armed invasion make Putin look like Hitler probably much more than he would like. On the other hand, it would be foolish to think Russians would accept the loss of control over such an important strategic location as Crimean peninsula to the new (not exactly pro-Russian) government in Kiev. Furthermore, Crimea is not tied strongly to Ukraine, being a part of Ukraine only since 1954. That leads me to believe that the Russians will occupy Crimea, but they won’t invade further into Ukraine, then there will be talks and in the end, westerners will bow down yet again and accept the status quo. There is one more aspect though. I talked to Edrard last night – as some of you know, he lives in Kiev. He basically confirmed to me that if Russians continue to invade from Crimea into Ukraine, there will be an all-out war. For the Record is also hosted in Kiev, so if it goes offline suddenly, it’s another DDOS – or Russians. Normally I would add a smiley after the last sentence, but it’s actually not funny. And what are your thoughts about this entire issue?

More...