Hello everyone, this post is quite important (well, for me anyway :P), so please, take your time to read it. I promise I will be brief, or at least I will try to be :) What Is It and Why Those of you, who follow For the Record for a while probably noticed…. issues we’ve been having last month. The site was crashing, sometimes it was unavailable, there were some glitches and it was generally slow. The common reason for that was basically an overloaded server – I posted that on the FTR Facebook Page. For the Record grew immensely in last three months. Not so long time ago, I proudly posted about 100k reader peaks per day, but last week, we reached an insane number of over (!) 200k for two days in a row. I really didn’t think there would be any more room for growth above 100k, but I was wrong and I am really glad I was :) Sometimes I just open up Google Analytics and watch the access numbers in real time and I am like “Whoa, 10 people from Manila, I wonder who’s reading FTR there…” – okay, I am getting sidetracked again, sorry. Such numbers don’t come “just so” without a price and it was clear to me and Edrard that more bandwith and new server is sorely needed – and that’s what we did. We got both. Second issue FTR was facing was the threat of DDOS attacks. We had several attempts – one succeeded (you might remember FTR being down for a day), after which we added DDOS protection to hosting (I am not sure how exactly that works, but it works even though it isn’t cheap) and after that we haven’t had trouble staying up ever since. This is mostly thanks to tireless efforts of Edrard, who is “on call” as tech support practically all the time. Considering the fact that he is freshly a father and that he lives in Kiev, I am sure you understand he has other things on his mind, but despite that, he’s been there practically 24/7 to fix FTR messes (there were more than you can imagine – like that time I shut down FTR myself by uploading 50 megs of pictures into one post, overwhelming the bandwith) and for that, I am deeply grateful. In short: the upkeep of For The Record grew immensely and as grateful as I am for all the donations past and present, I am sure you can imagine that they don’t cover the price of this setup, not by a longshot. At the same time, however, moving the site anywhere else is not an option for several reasons (if needed, I can explain that in detail, but I don’t want to write pages of text again) and ads… well, judging from my past experience, I want to avoid it at all costs (it is the last resort). At the same time, I want to find a stable model of financing FTR activities to ensure that FTR is here as long as there are new patches coming out for World of Tanks – and later World of Warships too, a game that shows much more promise than the Warplanes, so we are looking at maybe even 4-5 years of existence. Yes, I am willing to commit to that – if you help me. Therefore, once again, I decided that it is time for a change. Several people pointed out that the best way to do it would be a voluntary monthly subscription (thanks, Lonigus and Rita!). After all, imagine if out of those 200k people, one percent decided to donate 1 Euro per Month. That’s a LOT of money and of course I don’t expect the subscription to reach such a height, but this is the basic principle. Some of you, dear readers have donated substantial amounts of money – and again, I am grateful for that – but many people donating small amounts makes it easier for everyone. Therefore, after hearing some positive reference (Highflyer, he uses it as well), I decided to try using the Patreon service, because it allows to do exactly that, set up a subscription. What is Patreon Well… let me post their own promotion video, that explains it the best: * * Compared to the video, there is a bit of a change though – you can set it so that the subscription is not based on posts/pieces of course, but comes monthly – and that’s what I did. It’s basically a monthly subscription. Overall, the system has following advantages: - it’s safe: the Patreon site is not small and is endorsed by many artists over the web, even serious magazines - you don’t need Paypal anymore, simple credit card is enough - it’s very easy to use - you can opt out any time and cancel the subscription How to Contribute As I said, it’s extremely easy. Step 1: Go to For the Record Patreon page Step 2: On the left side from the big grinning skull, select how much you want to donate monthly and press “Become a Patron” Keep in mind please that it’s USD, not EUR and that the sum you choose will be deducted from your account at the beginning of each month, until you cancel the subscription, which is also very easy to do and you can do it any time. Step 3: Confirm the amount Step 4: Sign up, either via FB, or simply by registering. You can put some BS nickname in the “Full name”, but I strongly suggest you use your World of Tanks nickname, so I know who to thank and possibly reward. However, you DO need to save/remember this login, as it will be used, when you decide to cancel the subscription. Step 5: Now you are on the payment page – read everything there carefully and then enter your credit card info, the card will be charged at the beginning of each month for the amount you see in the “Pledge Amount” field above. You can use Paypal for this as well. Step 6: Press “Confirm and Pledge” button Step 7: Go to your e-mail you registered with and confirm your account (clicking on the button in the Patreon e-mail), I suspect that without that step, the payment won’t go through What will YOU be getting out of it? Well, here’s a pickle. Usually, the artists reward their contributors with some extra content, but for me, it’s different – everything I do goes to For the Record for everyone to see. There is no special content for anyone, I hate that stuff Continue reading →

More...