For the Record: Update on the Performance Issues of mine in 9.0
Hello everyone, you know what I hate? When you have something you get used to and it takes you a while, but then someone comes and screws it up and you have to undergo the entire “debugging” process once again. That was probably one of the reasons for my ragepost from yesterday, because something that worked for over a year suddenly got screwed. Personally, I was perfectly happy with WoT graphics before 9.0 and I think any upgrades in this department should be purely optional. Either way, the FPS dropped for me heavily. Basically, I did want the graphics to be at least the same as they were before 9.0. Settings I used before 9.0: - improved render, 1440*900, anti-aliasing on - tank texture quality: high - terrain quality: high or medium (can’t remember) - lighting, post-processing: medium - shadows: off - things like trees, vegetation and other such effects turned off or low From last night, I made following changes: - tank texture quality: from high to medium - terrain quality: medium - lighting, post-processing: low The rest remained the same (either low or off). In the last post, I wrote that on 8.11 settings, my FPS was 30-50, while in 9.0, using the settings same settings, it dropped to 10-15 FPS, for no reason. At this point, I would like to thank you for the feedback and all the helpful advice you wrote me, there were tons of e-mails with various tips. What I did: - I am using a hard drive, not SDD, so I defragmented it properly - cleaned up my computer (not physically, I keep it clean all the time and so should you – I looked for malware and such, found nothing out of the ordinary, no infection or whatever, but just to be case, I ran the cleaner and MBAM) - I upgraded the graphic drivers to the newest version (despite some people advised that this is not a good idea, because some graphic cards bug out with them – I leave the decision to do it up to you of course) - I deleted the %appdata%\wargaming.net folder, numerous (Russian and EU) players reported this helps (be advised, this will delete all your settings you have in World of Tanks, you will have to configure it from scratch) - disabled the hard drive indexing service (thanks to Zarax for specifically mentioning this – to do it, right click on the drive name and disable the “Allow Indexing Service” ticker, it makes file searching slower, but makes the drive access faster) The result of the action above was that now, the battle loading times were cut significantly and I now have 30-40 FPS. I have absolutely no idea where the issue originated, but the steps above helped. Once again, thansk to all of you for your advice. There is one more “controversial” step that can be taken, I haven’t tried it, but you might, if you are having further FPS issues. In 9.0, multicore load support was introduced. What it means is that where before core 1 of your CPU was always loaded to 100 percent and the rest went to core 2, now, all the cores (tested on quadcore PC) are loaded to 40-60 percent – the load is spread. This is how it looks disabled (until 9.0): This is how it looks enabled (9.0 onwards) This system can be manually disabled by changing the “res/engine_config.xml” file. The file is encrypted, so here is the modified version of the file with this option disabled. Some players on Russian forums reported that disabling this new feature helped them increase their FPS on certain low-end configurations. If you decide to try it, ALWAYS back your old file up.