Hello everyone, several people actually recently sent me a link to an article, that has nothing per se to do with World of Tanks – it’s about War Thunder (yes, I still have the game on my hard drive and no, I haven’t touched it yet, gotta check the schedule, when there’s the closest GF test and have a look). War Thunder released a patch, where it is possible to easily customize the game, according to player’s needs. If I understand correctly, the skins are client-side (like in World of Tanks), so only you can see them, but whoever was making the video about it mentioned that the developers would like to have them server-side. * * Another cool function is that you can actually create your own maps and missions. So far they can be only shared with friends, but check this out: Damn. I always wanted to create my own maps – no sarcasm, I would really want that. More information about that in the article. This is not the point of this post though. Wargaming developers made it absolutely clear that user-generated maps are out of the question (well, let’s face it, creating a ground map is probably much more difficult than creating an air map – gameplay-wise at least) and any skin content is pretty-much restricted to client-side and the customization will also be restricted to “approved” patterns. Is that a good thing? Well… unlimited customization has its… flaws. But now we get to the point. The War Thunder post had one thing that really caught my eye: The developers state: “We will chose the best creation, add them to the game and reward their creators.” This. This is something I have been proposing for years (without success, obviously). Why is it so hard to actually make something like this? A special decal/skin/tank model, based on player modelling skill? As an “alternative hull” perhaps? There are some amazing skins and remodels out there in the game. Map proposals as well – I mean, yes, 99,9 percent of any such competition proposals will be complete garbage, but it could create yet another connection between the game and the society. I mean, there aren’t THAT many games out there, that can say “this model/idea/whatever was created by the players and it was so good we implemented it”? There are a couple, but not that many. I would really love to have something like this… hell, I can’t draw for shit, but I would try :)

More...