Hello everyone, as you have probably heard, Elder Scrolls Online (furthermore referred to as ESO) is a new MMO, based on the massive Elder Scrolls world, which is one of the most developed and largest fantasy franchises out there, with very deep lore and rich content. The best known part of the Elder Scrolls series is the legendary game Skyrim, widely considered to be one of the best games ever made. As I wrote several times, I am a World of Warcraft veteran and am familiar with the MMORPG concepts (phasing, aggro etc. – more on that later) – I am saying this so you understand, how I approached this game, because most people seem to approach it wrong. I didn’t specifically follow the game development and only got interested after the game was released and Rita started streaming it once or twice. That caught my attention, so I bought it and installed it. Considering today’s game prices, the game doesn’t come cheap: 50 Euro (70 for special edition) and then you have to pay subscription (cca 10 Euro per month). That is a mixed blessing – of course, you have to pay, the game is not F2P. But on the other hand, this system acts as a “natural barrier” to keep the worst pubbies, noobs and idiots out and prevents the infestation of stupidity, so present in World of Tanks. I actually prefer it this way and the players I met in the game proved me right. After smooth purchase of the game online and a 20GB download (not as bad as I thought), I installed it and ran it. Well… this is the part where I need to say something a lot of people writing reviews on this game seem not to understand. ESO is NOT Skyrim I think that I don’t have to tell anyone that single-player and multi-player requirements are (still) on a completely different level. For one, ESO is missing most of the really pretty physics, that made Skyrim great – no archery physics for example. In fact, mechanics and gameplay-wise, ESO is actually closer to World of Warcraft than Skyrim and it uses a LOT of WoW mechanics. WoW players will feel quite at home after a while, although there are definitely some improvements as well. Installation and Settings Either way, back to the game. Installation was pretty smooth and so was the login. The game takes account security seriously: if you log in with different IP than you did the first time for example, the game will kick you out immediately and you have to authorize the IP via e-mail, otherwise the account gets locked. Setting up the game properly however is a bit more difficult. For one, the keyboard settings are a bit weird, took me a while to set it properly. Second, graphic autosetting is completely wrong. I am glad the game flatters my computer by telling me I can run everything on max, but… no, I can’t. Unless you have a quite good computer, you will have to experiment with the settings a bit. I recommend turning viewrange and shadows down, they have HUGE impact on FPS (viewrange specifically influences not only drawing distance, but also LOD distance). Other things however, you can run at full even on weaker machines, including for example texture quality. A tip: when setting up the game, get to the first “really big room” in tutorial (the one with eyes and elementals) – if it runs smoothly, so will the rest of the game, it’s a good testbed. As I said, you have to experiment a bit – turning some things off doesn’t increase your FPS, but it makes the game look like complete shit. In the end, I settled for a mix of medium and high details (with all extra effects on full) and 60 percent viewrange. What a difference compared to World of Tanks, that barely runs on medium now. A word of warning though: currently, there is a very nasty bug, that basically makes the game freeze for 2 seconds every 30 seconds or so. It’s incredibly annoying and it can kill you in combat. There is a fix – follow the instructions in this thread (regarding that file edit), it works. Setting up a Character Let me get back to the character part first. Basically, you have three factions. One is the Daggerfall Covenant, with two types of humans and orcs, Aldmeri Dominion, which has two elves and the big cat Khajiits and Ebonheart Pact or something like that, which has Nords (Skyrim!), Dark Elves and the lizard guys, Argonians. Each faction has its own zones and then there are some battlefields or whatnot, not very important. The important part is that it is NOT like World of Warcraft, where enemy faction can (for example) raid player starting zones and make a mess there. Here, these zones are exclusive – in other words, you won’t encounter enemy factions unless you want to, kinda reminds me of The Old Republic SW MMO. Each faction has obviously its own history, background and storyline, that is independent on what class you pick. Races also have noticeable racial advantages (for example, Wood Elves have a good archery bonus, Bretons have magic bonus etc.) – you can work any race/class combo work, but some work better (whereas in WoW it wasn’t really that important, whether the priest is human or undead). A propos, classes, that’s also a mess. Each race in the game has access to all 4 classes in the game and each class is “customizable” (all classes can use all weapons, items and armor, as far as I can tell). You have: - Dragon Knight, that can function either as a plate DPS, a tank or even a ranged DPS, but he sucks at that - Sorcerer is a classic mage and is alway range DPS, he can specialize in pet DPS or alpha, such stuff - Templar is extremely universal – an equivalent of a paladin, he can spec into a tank (plate + shield), DPS (2 hander), ranged DPS (something like a holy version of mage, quite effective) or healer - Nightblade – basically a rogue with some magic elements, always a DPS, either an archer or melee The classes use the same mechanics of WoW. There are tanks (players, who attract enemies and can stand a lot of punishment, hard to kill but don’t kill enemies fast either), DPS (fragile, but does tons of damage) and healers. There however is one extremely important thing to consider. Two things in fact. First, multiclasses don’t work. If you want to be a two-handed-sword-wielding holy Continue reading →

More...