All credits for this find go to Kerberospanzer from US forums. Hello everyone, finding differences in models between versions is not really that simple. It’s a process that takes a while and sometimes (I hope not often), something simply “slips through the cracks”. Kerberospanzer discovered an interesting change in Panzer III top turret. Check this out. This is the pre-9.0 Panzer III Notice specifically the mantlet. And now, in 9.0: That’s right, the additional armor plate from the mantlet is missing. The mantlet lost 20mm of armor (from 50 to 30mm) and noone bothered to write it anywhere. Think this is weird? It gets weirder. This is the 9.0 armor model with top turret and the 50mm L/60 gun: Notice the reduced 30mm mantlet and 30mm of frontal turret armor. Got it? Now, this is the SAME model (9.0 Panzer III with top turret), BUT with the 75mm L/24. Here, the frontal turret (not mantlet!) is 57mm thick and the mantlet is 50mm thick. What the actual fuck? This is the first time I hear about turret frontal armor changing with gun. Plus, there is no reason for this change – at least not historically (here, you can see the tank with the “original” mantlet in real life): So… I wonder what else did we miss…

More...