Source: http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/news/3/cartography_contest/ Hello everyone, this is something that actually caught my eye. Wargaming runs a competition, where Russian server players are submitting their map proposals in two categories: - historical map - e-sports map Top three creators win a gaming computer (1st place prize: i7/8GB RAM/1TB drive/120 GB SSD/ GTX770) – what is interesting is that the first place for historical maps gets to be rewarded with a better computer. One user can participate in only one of these categories. Another interesting thing is the way the historical maps are made. They have to be: - based on real location, referring to an important battle event - located in Europe or USSR - the map has to be based on aerial photos from WW2 and has to be recognizable - following locations are not allowed: “Minsk, Stalingrad, Kharkov, Königsberg, Leningrad, Poznan, Caen, Berlin, Köln” (that means that these locations are considered for implementation already, nice!) - the type of the map has to be city, battlefield or mix of the two - size of the map: 800*800 or 900*900 meters - all seasons allowed - the map has to have 3-4 obvious directions for attack - map has to be balanced for both teams - considerable terrain level differences are undesirable - the map has to be viable for any tier The “cybersports” map has roughly the same conditions, but it’s supposed to be smaller (700*700 or 800*800) and the terrain doesn’t have to be strictly historical. The emphasis is on the balance of both sides, the map has to be viable for team battles. Hell, I could use that rig :) Why don’t we have something like that in Europe? Oh, right, no map competitions for you, bloody capitalists. Seriously though, I love these design competitions. It’s much more fun than ye olde “make most damage” stuff. In case you are interested what Russian players are submitting, you can view their work here.

More...