Hello everyone, a player named Rabiesdog contacted me with a link to his big post made about his trip to military museum in Warsaw (Poland), dedicated to weapons Poland and Polish troops used. The post was excellent (very informative) and with his permission, I am going to repost it here (with a bit different formatting). The original post can be found here. Enjoy! From here on pics from the Museum and some explanatory text from the info plaquettes. TS-8 *Bies* Training aircraft The TS-8 was designed by a construction team led by Dr.Tadeusz Sołtyka at the institute of Aviation in Warsaw. It was designed for total basic flight training, as well as for schooling and training of advanced students including fighter pilot. This was the first post-war plane designed in Poland with a Polish engine and produced in large numbers for military air forces. The initial rest flight of the TS-8 took place in July of 1955 and after anoter 3 years of development, mass procuction of the *Bies * started in the WSK Mielec factory where a total of 250 units were produced. The factory produced models were delivered to Officer Training Schools as well as in various units of the air forces. Beginning with the mid – 1960`s the newer training aircraft TS-11 *Iskra* were introduced and concurrently the TS-8 were withdrawn. Individual examples of the *Bies* were udes as logistical aircraft throughout the 1970`s TS-11 *Iskra* Training aircraft The TS-11 was also designed at the Warsaw Institute of Aviation by a construction team led by Dr.Tadeusz Sołtyka and was designed for basic and advanced training of pilots in jet fighters. In February of 190 the first test flights of the TS-11 took place, and in 1964 the WSK Mielec factory produced the first allotment of planes for the Polish Air FOrces. The plane proved to be a continuing source of interest for foreign military specialist and in 1975 a contract was sighed for delivery for 50 *Iskra* planes to India. Mass production of the TS-11 continued inabated untill 1987, and a total of 424 planes where produced in various versions and models. The exhibit in display and numbered 101 was the first model of the first series to be mass produced. This plane served in the OTS of the Polish Air Force in Dęblin and in the 60th Flight Training Regiment in Radom. PZL-130 Orlik Training Aircraft Polish combat training aircraft implemented in selective and basic training in the Air Force Officers College. Used also in dipatch flights. Developed by the PZL Warszawa – Okęcie. The prototype mad its air debut in 1984. As a result of further modifications the TC-1 model was equipped with Martin Baker CH.15 A ejection seats. 35 Orlik machines are operated today. MIG-21 PF Fishbed The MIG-21 series of fighter aircraft was built in the USSR during the 1950s. These are lightweight interceptor fighters designed for air battle on short and medium distances, also able to fight in difficult atmospheric conditions. Various versions of the MIG-21 were introduced into service in the Polish Armed Force beginning with 1966, and remained the basic fighter planes in POland through the 1980s. 581 MIG-21 of various models where purchased from the USSR. The Mig 21F aircraft is and interceptor equipped with RP-21 saphire radar, with an extended range and not carrying any guns. The model on exhibit served through the early 1990s in the 1st *Warszawa* Air Force Fighter Regiment. 122mm Field Howitzer model 1910/10 The modernized version of the howitzer produced in the Schneider Factory in France and accepted into service by the Russian Army prior to WW1 as the 1910 field howitzer. These guns were mass produced between 1912-17. The production of the 1910 howitzer was continued in the USSR. In 1930 the Perm artillery Factory modernized the gun chassis which incresed the projectile delivery to target. As of October 1, 1936 there were 2 383 howitzers of this type in service in the Soviet Army. 280mm Siege mortar Model 1914 Barrel and transport chassis Built by the Schneider factory in France, the basic assignement of the 1914 mortar was ti destroy heavily fortified enemy positions, including permanent steel fortifications. The mortar was transported to firing positions after having been disassembled into several component parts. During WW1 this mortar ws produced by Schneider for the French as well as the Russian Army. A total of 26 mortars were delivered to Russia during the period 1915-17. A number of them were later used by the Soviet Army and were utilized in the Winter War with Finland in 1939-40. 75mm Field gun model 1912 First built by the Schneider Factory in France this gun was introduced in to the French Ary, Horse Artillery and used the designation Canon de 75 Modéle 1912. During WW1 guns of this type were replaced in combat units by the standard field gun model 1897. The 1912 guns were also used by the Serbian army. The model on exhibit here was produced in the Schneider Factory in Creusot, France in 1913. 75mm Field gun model 1914 Built by the Schneider Factory in France it was introduced to the French army in the Horse Artillery and was designated as the Canon de Modéle 1914. The model exhibited here was produced in the Schneider Factory in Creusot in France 1915. 155mm model 1917 Field Howitzer This howitzer was built by hte French Schneider Company during WW1. The initial delivery of howitzers of this tupe to Poland took place in mid- 1919 and the guns were used in combat afainst the Red Amy, including the struggle known as ´Battle of Warsaw´in August 1920. There were still 206 pieces of M.1917 field howitzers in service with the Polish Armed Forces in October of that year. During the inter-world war years the M.1917 field howitzer were used to equip Polish heavy artillery battalions, whose size was reduced to heavy artillery battalions after the Polish Army reorganization that occured in the 1930s. There were still 340 howitzers of this type in service with the Polish Armed Forces in September 1939. The M.1917 field howitzers wre used also by the heavy artiller regiments of Polish 1st Grenadier Division and the Polish 2nd Foot Rifle Division that fought during the French Campaign in June 1940. IS-2 Heavy Tank Production of the IS (Joseph Stalin – IS) started in 1943 and tanks of this type served in the Soviet Army in fighting large tanks and motorized guns, assisted the medium tanks in te assaults and worked in conjunction with the infantry in destroying well-fortified opponents. A total of more than 3 850 units were produced. The IS-2 tanks served in Continue reading →

More...