Fourth part of the Wargaming series with Russian veteran memories about the Second World War. This time with former radio and telegraph operator Vasilij Yakovlevich Goncharov, who will talk about his job as a radio operator of the combat unit and his trial by fire during the Lake Balaton operation. English subtitles are available. * * Vasilij Yakovlevich Goncharov served the entire war in the 1st Mechanized Corps of the 9th Zaporozhie Guards Tank Brigade (holders of Order of Kutuzov and Order of Suvorov) in a communications platoon and company. While working as a telephone operator during the fights around the city of Székesfehérvár from 28th of January to 4th of February 1945, he kept the line open between the battalion and brigade HQ working constantly under heavy enemy artillery and mortar fire. During one day of fighting, he personally repaired the phone line 20 times, allowing the troops to be commanded smoothly. For making a difference in the Balaton fighting, he recieved an Order of the Red Star. Please pay attention: This is the third time I am leaving the comments open. This man is a veteran, who fought in the actual war and whatever you think about Russia, he deserves respect. Last time, I asked you and I am asking you again not to bash Russians, Ukraine, Crimea, Stalin and whatever here, keep that stuff for the time when Wargaming decides yet again to promote Stalin somewhere. If you can’t keep yourself from this at least this time, I will not only start handing out RO bans (or permabans in worst cases), but next time, the comments will be closed.

More...