Thanks to Branwen_lj (from world-of-ru) for posting this video and to others for linking me the story earlier. Is the Oculus Rift (VR goggles) the future of tank simulation? The Norewegian army certainly thinks so. They built a vehicle, that can be driven “buttoned up” using only relatively cheap cameras, PC and Oculus Rift, giving the driver a 180 or so degree field of view, composed from the images of the cameras. The price for this solution is the driver getting tired quicker due to the artificial nature of the images, which I assume will be a problem in gaming as well. Personally, I can’t imagine using Oculus Rift on regular basis (even if I had it and the rig to support it), because I actually do get headaches even from watching 3D movies in cinema. I assume the strain on the eyes won’t be much different. * * As for Wargaming and World of Tanks, as far as I recall, the official stance, confirmed by Big Boss Viktor Kislyi during the WGL finals in Poland is that this technology is viable for World of Tanks only when it gets mass-produced and spread (hundreds of thousands to millions of pieces). I guess we’ll just have to wait.

More...