Disclaimer: the contents of these articles merely illustrate the resources available for a historically accurate buff. This article does not imply that these changes should happen or will happen, either in combination or individually. Please pay attention to this disclaimer before being butthurt in the comments, thanks in advance. * *My previous article on ways that the IS-2 can be buffed*was received with great enthusiasm, so I figured I’ll do the rest of the series! The IS-1 and IS-2 have been covered by the previous article. The IS-3 was barely in use at all and has barely any room for improvements over the production model, which Wargaming has already implemented. Same as the IS-4. The IS-5 isn’t in the game (we were promised the turret for it as a KV-1S module ages ago, get your shit together, WG). The IS-6 is another one-off prototype, so the most I can do here is split hairs about the transmission (which will actually make a difference in 9.0 9.1*KTTC). So let’s do the rest of the series, IS 7 through 10! The IS-7 was a good tier 10 tank, a long time ago. Then the T110E5 was introduced, and it was basically everything the IS-7 was but better. Oh, and then the gun penetration was nerfed, as if it was super-awesome to begin with. Might as well start with the gun. The rate of fire in game is just over 4 RPM. This rate of fire is completely made up. The automatic loader of the IS-7 was capable of 6-8 RPM. Of course, some individuals will remark that it was only capable of it with a full cassette, but this game models the loading on all tanks from their ready rack, so you might as well do that for the IS-7 too. If not, then use proper autoloader mechanics, which eluded the IS-7 since they have been introduced in the game two years ago. Then there’s the engine. It’s fine, of course, but the magic tracks prohibit the tank from reaching its top speed from anywhere but freefall. Despite the tank’s tester remarking that the tank reached its top speed and controlled easily, in game it is slow and clumsy. Better tracks would go a long way towards making this tank actually fun to play. Next onto the IS-8! And 9 and 10. They are the same vehicle, as the index changed throughout its development. The in-game vehicle accurately reflects the T-10M tank, until some point, anyway. To ensure that the tank stayed competitive with the American M60 and British Chieftain, two shells were introduced into the tank’s repertoire: APCR (penetrating 320 mm at 2000 meters) and HEAT (penetrating 450 mm). The HEAT shell on the gun right now penetrates 340 mm, which is weaker than either of those (I’m sure the APCR loses more than 20 mm of penetration over two kilometers). The AP shell penetrates 214 mm at that range, so even if we’re looking at the same penetration fall-off (and APCR loses penetration faster than AP), the penetration at 100 meters would be 385 mm. That’s quite a drop from real life! The engine can also use an improvement. The T-10 itself only ever had a 750 hp engine, which is reflected in game, but this is WoT, so we can bend reality to our will a little bit. For instance, a 1000 hp A-7 engine fit into the rocket version of the tank (Object 282), so there is no reason that it wouldn’t fit into the regular tank. That ought to make it stand out from the tier 9 crowd a little bit!

More...