Hello everyone, okay, this is an issue, that I’ve been wondering for a while now. Why is it that WG EU content department churns out so little? Let me show you what I mean. First, we are going to have a look at the Russian World of Tanks portal. Five posts only yesterday? But wait, there’s more (Billy Mays mode engaged)! That’s right. Eight posts per day on the portal. And not just “here are few photos from a meeting” posts, check this out. A pretty detailed article on the history of the Super Pershing and how the name came to be. You know, because of the event. I’m gonna translate that actually – I think. And the EU server? Oh yea. Five posts per week. Now, I actually know there is such a thing as content department in first place. Really makes me wonder, what are these guys actually doing throughout their days. Why not put together more historical articles, WG EU has staff with excellent history knowledge (Challenger, Tuccy, Hunter1911, Raptor_Fulcrum and others). I’d love to learn something more about tanks and I am sure many others would do too. So where’s the problem? Hell, I do that for FTR almost every day, it’s doable. But that’s just one half of the content issue that I wonder about. Let’s have a look at the weekend events names. Last events were called: - Stormy May Day - Military Parade - Size Matters! - It’s Raining Shells Yep, I get the references, the Military Parade – okay, but… why are the weekend events not war-themed, like on the RU server? After all, this is a game with tanks, not ponies. Why such generic names? As you probably know, the three biggest communities in WG EU are the Germans, the Polish and the Czechs (and Slovaks of course). I will give you an example of what I mean – on my own community, the Czechoslovaks. The Czechoslovak forum section exists for years now. When was there ever an international event about the fighting on Czechoslovak territory for example? Some of the last brutal battles in the European theater of war were fought on Czechoslovak territory. Kurt Knispel, possibly the greatest tanker that ever lived, was killed in Czechoslovakia in fighting against Soviets armies – and he was no nazi. I get the Wargaming reluctance of mentioning Waffen SS members such as Michael Wittman, but Kurt Knispel was well known for his compassion with POW’s, his slow rise through the rank attributed to his reluctance to become a nazi poster boy. Check this out – this is a weekend event from Russian server, called “Bratislava-Brno Operation” – an event from March 2014, it describes the spring fighting of 1945 around the Slovak capital of Bratislava and around the second largest city in current Czech Republic, Brno, where the Soviet army crushed the nazi occupants, securing the path to Prague. This is how I imagine a weekend event to be. First, it has a relevant picture of a historical vehicle in spring: Secondly, it has quite interesting bonuses: - 50 percent vehicle credit income - 25 percent discount on consumables - 25 percent discount on crew retraining - 50 and 30 percent discounts for premium Churchill and Panzer IV Schmalturm (unrelated to the event, doesn’t really matter) And two relatively interesting missions (not that easy – 100 battles in 3 days to get the binoculars, destroy 30 German heavies to get 15 gold consumables). And, most importantly, a description of the battle in real life (in this case the Brno-Bratislava operation), its importance and its outcome. Surely, there was enough fighting done on the territory of Europe to provide enough material for every weekend event for years to come. This would also solve the issue of English event names such as “Size Matters” sounding idiotic or funny in other languages (unrelated, but try translating “Birds of Steel” in Czech, when the word “bird” is a slang word for penis). On the same note – why not go even further, why not actually mention German successes as well? Before you go all riled up, I am not saying criminal organizations (Waffen SS), criminal units (Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger) or vile acts should be celebrated. Of course not. But it’s undisputable that in some battles, the Germans simply won, like the early deep thrusts into Russia or crushing the vaunted French army (which nevertheless was on occasion able to cause havoc on German units, such as the defense of Chateau de Quesnoy). I see no reason why these battles should be forgotten just because they were won by the Germans, because some of the German victories were tactically masterful. Or the community from former Yugoslavia. Or the Polish community – they had their victories and great moments of glory as well (for example the 2nd Polish Armoured Regiment ripping into the Germans in the Falaise gap – that one would be an excellent opportunity to use the Churchill tank in the event). These events should not be forgotten and since Wargaming claims to help the players “remember everything” (at least in Russia), maybe this approach could be applied on the EU server as well.

More...