Sit back and relax because this may be a rather long blog post…
Let me start it off right away with the advertising. As you may have noticed (unless you use Adblock) that the site now has advertising on it. Unfortunately it’s gotten to the point now that without some sort of income for the site it’s getting expensive to run and maintain. The server costs*60 euros per month, and that’s just the current hardware. There’s no room in my budget for upgrades, or even doing interesting things like having additional storage or backup space available. Then there’s time…
Time wise, I spend an average of 15 to 20 hours per*week on maintenance, implementing new features, answering questions, checking forums, and generally ensuring everyone is happy. That’s practically a part-time job. On top of that, I have a 40 to 60 hour work week, doing a job that pays all the bills. I also have a wife and child that would like to spend some time with me, so as you can guess, when time gets tight, the site is the first thing that loses it’s “budget”.
And that isn’t really cool. But unavoidable, because I’m not putting a hobby project before my family, and I’m not cutting down on real-life work either because it would be at the expense of (again) my family. However, contributions or donations*do help in this aspect; any time a contribution comes in, that directly equates to time I can spend working on the site and not having to cut back on anything. But there’s a problem there too…
I can count on the fingers of 2 hands the number of people who have donated or contributed, over the past year. All in all it has meant the server bill was covered 1 month out of 12. Compared to the number of unique uploaders, the people who contributed make up less than*0.1% of the site’s userbase. Now, I’m not asking for your first-born child here – as I’ve said before, donate a dollar, and it’ll be good – because it adds up. To make this all a bit easier I’ve recently switched from Paypal to using Patreon – it’s much more convenient, and it lets you easily contribute. Not only to this site, but a few other World of Tanks related sites as well.
The extra advantage of contributing on Patreon? Once the monthly goal is reached, all advertising will disappear from the site. That’s right, because the advertising is just there to offset the server bill – so once that’s covered (and indirectly I can spend 60 euros worth of my time extra on the site) it’s no longer needed.
I’ve long held off on advertising or things that could be considered “premium” features, mostly because I don’t want to alienate a part of the sites’ userbase – but at the same time, things can’t keep going on like they are forever either.
And that’s why there’s been a lack of updates; I just can’t afford to spend a lot of time on the site at this moment in time.

More...