Since I mentioned I’m working on a few updates, I figured I might as well throw the whole enchilada out there, so sit back, here goes…
Over the past few months – since patch 0.9.0 really – it’s become rather obvious that the codebase of wotreplays.org is starting to behave like a senior citizen, it’s good at what it does, but don’t expect anything to change because you’ll just get told to get off the lawn. When the site first started, there was no WG API to obtain a lot of data from, there was hardly any info on anything, and in general it’s lead to a bunch of “bad” decisions. First of all, the reliance on the game client to get vehicle, map, achievement, and other data. It basically means I have to wait for a patch to land on the Asia cluster before I can update the site. And that sucks, because the Asia cluster is often the last to receive a patch.
Then there’s World of Warplanes. I’ve already found that the parser I use for wotreplays.org also parses replays for WoWP – well, if I had the blowfish key, but that aside – and I’m going to venture out on a limb here and guess that it’ll eventually read World of Warships replays as well. Since I found that out I’ve been considering having a site for all 3. But I don’t want to maintain 3 different codebases. So that combined with the updating issues sort of forced my hand into doing a massive rewrite.
So I’m retiring the old codebase – that means no updates, changes, or fixes. The new codebase will re-use some bits, such as the parser, the processing scripts, and some utility functions that are common to replay files for all WG games. The rest of it is going to get overhauled to be more light-weight, but also support all 3 games in the same application – since the sites for all 3 games will be rather similar in their behaviour and functionality, the only thing that really changes is the*type of replay and of course the visual theme of the site.
It’s a big project, so it’ll take a while. To keep up to date, check back on the blog and check the*Replays NG category.

More...