Hello everyone, I recently recieved a message, reminding me of this little gem. It’s been two years since Overlord reposted this (by then highly controversial) take on the German tree, originally posted by Slava Makarov I think. In case you don’t remember Overlord or are too new a player to remember him, he was a developer of World of Tanks on EU server and in his time (think early 2012), he ran a huge thread, where you actually could – imagine that – ask a real developer anything and he answered, just like Storm and SerB did on RU forums. It was a glorious time for WoT: the game was new and fresh, the EU office was not filled with PR clowns. Overlord’s unfortunate departure to other projects was one of the defining moments in creating FTR, because at that point, with the EU community being deprived of information, I started translating from Russian to first Czech, then English. Or was it vice versa? Can’t remember. In any case, Overlord reposted this tree on his blog (which is active until this day, do follow it for some interesting info!) As you can see, the tree was highly controversial, because the original post actually suggested that a lot of vehicles would be downtiered with losing their top unhistorical guns. That this approach proved to be correct was shown only later on, with some of these changes eventually really happening (remember how VK3001 lost the Vaderturm?). Another interesting moment is the Maus on tier 9 (with even worse mobility than the current tier 10 one) and Maus II on tier 10. In case you are wondering – Maus II project actually existed, it was an alternative turret project (described here). Notice the proposed downtiering of the VK450X prototypes. Currently, the VK450X’s (especially the rear turret one) are insanely buffed compared to their historical project counterparts, they have way too much armor (sometimes twice as much!),carry unhistorical weaponry and use unhistorical engines. At one point, there was a plan to bring them to historicity, but what happened to it, noone knows – it probably died with no suitable candidates found to replace them. A propos – candidates: notice the Lowe on tier 8. The fact that Wargaming used Lowe, which would otherwise be a perfectly good regular tank (it has options) as a premium tank is viewed by many (not just me) as one of the worst design mistakes made. Sure, it probably sold well, but it also forced the developers to introduce unhistorically buffed vehicles into the tree. It would have been a perfect tier 8 German heavy, simply ideal. Pity. Speaking of blasts from the past: it’s been more than a year (a year and a third) since RU251 was first announced. At first, it was supposed to come along with the Aufklärungspanzer Panther in early 2013, then it was cancelled and the German scout line came out without it, ending with that horrible vehicle for more than a year. We will apparently see the RU251 in Patch 9.3 along with the Soviet LT8 and US scout line – I wouldn’t be surprised that by the time 9.3 came out, the RU251 wait would celebrate its year-and-half “anniversary”. The reason for the RU251 delay (apart from the usual WG shenanigans) was the fact that until recently, very little info could be found and I don’t think I will spoil anything if I say that a German EU community helped Wargaming to acquire (some of) the said info, big thanks go to him and to a certain developer, who listened. Either way: here’s a greeting to the “old guard” from the past, especially to Overlord. Thank you for your past and current work and pieces of information you brought us.

More...