Fury is a movie about a crew of a Sherman tank fighting in Germany, that is coming on November 14th, 2014. It’s supposed to be quite realistic – for starters, it has a real Tiger 1 tank in it – how many movies can say the same? Yup, it’s the famous Bovington Tiger, actually captured in Tunisia. Just think about it for a second – a movie with a tank that actually really fired at the Allies in anger, in 2014 – this was not too uncommon right after the war (some Russian, even Czechoslovak movies were made using the authentic German equipment), but now, it’s quite extraordinary. * * Sadly, the more I learn about the movie, the more I just can’t seem to actually like it. For one, I hate Brad Pitt – but that’s my personal thing. It’s more like the setting, I am quite afraid of the traditional “dumb evul Germunz vs stronkerest US Superheroes” setting (Red Tails, anyone? Of course the only purpose of that movie was to show that black people fought too, not historical realism, but even so). Even if realistic, I am still worried a bit about the setting, because by 1945 the German army was practically defeated (especially after the Ardennes), so making a movie about American tank crew shooting up “boys and old men” (as one of the real life American commanders characterized his fighting in Germany) in their tank doesn’t sound too well. But we’ll have to see. Secondly, there is the sorry state the Sherman was left in after the shooting of the movie. While I doubt we will ever learn the truth about the contract between Hollywood and Bovington, having the people who made this movie run down the Sherman so much that the proceedings from cooperation with Wargaming have to fund its restoration instead of actually bringing money to the museum in order to restore other vehicles is appalling and sad. Oh well, I’ll go see it in cinema nonetheless.

More...