Currently the ReplaysNG repository is public, because I was just too lazy to create the repo on my Bitbucket account (where private repositories are free, as opposed to Github’s monthly plan requirement), but I might go ahead and move it there regardless.
Why? Because that whole kerfuffle with credits not being given where they’re due is still bugging the crap out of me. It’s not that I don’t want people to see my code, but it bothers me to no end that it’s apparently too much effort to just put in a simple text or link to point out where you got things from. As far as I can remember, I’ve done that for all people whose code I (re)used, or otherwise got inspired by to do things a certain way. Why? Because it’s the “right” thing to do.
Just lifting things and not crediting them will just lead to the inevitable outcome: things will go back to being closed source. There’s a reason I made it open source in the first place, but apparently the developer community around Wargaming products – the developer community that used to be filled with most excellent people – has gone and slid itself down into having a large number of people in it that just take, take, take and never give. Oh, there are exceptions of course, there always are… but it used to be the norm, not an exception.
And while it may sound like a petty and childish thing to do, I’m probably going to go ahead and be all*screw you guys, I’m taking my toys home*because of it.
I guess things have come full circle again; going from closed source, to open source, back to closed source. It reminded me in a somewhat painful way that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and that frankly the good intentions in this case just weren’t worth the annoyance.