Source: http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index...g-progression/ Thanks to everyone who sent me the link to this (cca 20 people, nice to know so many people from the ASIA server read FTR :) ) Hello everyone, Yesterday, Tanitha posted quite a long post about what is being done with the bots on ASIA server (by the way, notice how Tanitha is starting to be the source of some very interesting info lately?). Either way, the post is linked above, I am going to summarize here and comment on it. The original text is in italics. The post starts with the classic “hi” and all that, gonna skip that. World of Tanks is also unique in its player base, with WOT attracting a lot of middle age historians and military fans, a lot often attracted to WOT as their first online MMO. As such a large section of our player base are new to online gaming, and not familiar with the common issues brought to MMO’s in the way of bot’s. ​Bots are one of the plagues of online games, like other issues such as crime, unemployment etc, the botting issue is never “fixed” it is more a matter of constantly fighting the issue and keeping them at an acceptable level / percentage. The last sentence is true, sadly, bots will never be eradicated from the game, not completely, there will always be some new software emulating player behavior. Bots? The word bot is misused a lot, as there is plenty of types. It can range from players manually AFK playing,​ by starting a game and then multi tasking / watching TV. We understand “stuff happens” like the phone rings, door knocks, the internet disconnects, etc, so players do go AFK occasionally and such is normal, however “Repetitive and excessive passive play” is against the rules and players who excessively go AFK are permanently game banned with no warnings for first offense. Dumb macro’s which can restart games, shoot the ground a bit etc. all the way up to professional sophisticated bots. I think that Tanitha is missing the issue here, noone is really complaining about someone going AFK for a phone call (hell, I did that on more than one occasion, it happens – you gotta run off, someone calls you etc. – that’s no problem and noone is complaining about that. What is actually a problem are players that have 400 or so games per day – with 7 average minutes per battle, that’s theoretically impossible, which means the battles of such players last much shorter. These should be targetted. Ban the bots. It is done, however, its not a solution. When a botter’s bot is banned, they can simply start again.. Banning bots thus barely reduces bots. Although we do ban ~50-100 a week which helps get the numbers down.. This is also theoretically not entirely correct I think, although I am sure that Tanitha wouldn’t post that statement without having some internal stats to back it up. Or would he? Nah, let’s say he’s serious. Either way, what is written above is perfectly true… for games with economy, such as World of Warcraft. In World of Warcraft there was at one point a complete PLAGUE of bots, but these did not belong to real players trying to progress. They belonged to “Chinese goldfarmers” – typically Asian company employees (!), who “farmed” resources or gold and then they sold them for real money. You can imagine how completely devastating this is for the ingame economy and for the fun of play (it had other extremely nasty side effects, such as the companies that ran this business had TONS of ingame money, they literally bought out the entire auction house on the server and inflated the prices. Recently, I had a sort of deja-vu of this in Elder Scrolls Online, where bots were literally farming quest monsters, they camped their spawn and when the monster (a boss of sorts) spawned, he was dead within 2 seconds. Good luck getting that quest finished! Luckily, the producers of ESO responded by banning shitloads of bots and this issue was managed. In World of Tanks, there is no economy, so there are no “Chinese gold farmers”, thus, bots are used for grinding, eg. progress by players, who actually CARE about their progress and won’t likely start another bot account when all their progress was already deleted by a ban (that is however a pure speculation on my part, seems logical though, doesn’t it). The problem is, botting punishment is account wipe, which however doesn’t reset premium account and gold and premium tanks, so even if you lose your progress, you get to keep the paid stuff. It would be wise to change this policy, so the botters FEEL it by losing something they paid for. If you are concerned about the legal side – I don’t think you should be: nothing you see on the screen belongs to you according to the conditions you signed, the tanks are essentially just “rented” to you, you are buying a service – it’s more like when you misbehave on a rollercoaster, endangering other passengers, you’ll be kicked out regardless of whether you paid the ticket or not. Plus, check this out – the first punishment for botting is a wipe, second is a ban. When you have a look at Stormshadow’s bot list, you will see that most bots, caught by Wargaming were actually eventually banned, which means that it is very likely a wiped account will turn a recidivist and will start botting again (clearly, this is not working). At first glance, this does seem to contradict the second part this reply (the one about botters not being motivated to start botting again), but only seemingly – take the recent Superpershing event, where players could get a Super Pershing by (simply put) playing a lot. A bot comes in handy here – in fact, it is confirmed that some players did get their SP by using a bot, so the gain outweighed the risks. And those that were caught did not get their Super Pershing removed, since it’s a premium tank. Ban more bots then. More bots are getting banned, as we continue to work with existing systems, and add additional systems. We have always sanctioned from the Bot Detection System, additionally recently we started banning players additionally for excessive games played (linked with other analytical information). Unfortunately due to errors in the “games played/day” statistics, banning of players with excessive games was ceased until backup verification systems were put in place. This has now been done, and investigation on high number of game players is now continuing again. In Continue reading →

More...