Hello everyone, everyone knows the 88mm L/100 variant of the E-50, right? The gun itself was actually a historical proposal (it sounds silly, but then the Germans did consider the L/130 as well as PaK – eg. AT gun no less). In real life it would encounter massive issues with manufacture process (creating a barrel of that length is not easy) as well as wear and tear (such a long barrel would have to be reinforced somehow, heat would twist it) and accuracy (long barrels tend to oscillate when fired, reducing the accuracy significantly). This is how it looks in the game. For E-50, for which it was not planned – in fact, noone knows for sure what the E-50 and E-75 projects would be armed with, but considering both were an evolution of the K√∂nigstiger – or rather its streamlining for production, 88mm L/71 would be the most likely candidate (128mm gun would not fit the turret at all). The 88mm L/100 itself is not really a “real gun” either, just a demand from Hitler for a gun to mount on the Porsche Tiger* from January 1942. Nothing ever came from it. What is even weirder however is this: This is an E-75 with 105mm L/100 – yes, that’s right, the gun is 10 meters long. Some claim it is actually a historical project (not for the E-75 though), but I haven’t been able to find any reference to it in the usual literature (Special Panzer Variants, Tiger und seine Abarten, Panzer Tracts, Germany’s Tiger Tanks) at all, so if it is historical at all (I wouldn’t put it past the Germans), I think it was only some mention of the “Hitler demanded this gun and the engineers quietly facepalmed” kind. The armament projects for the Tiger II ended with the 105mm L/68, which was already very problematic (for starters, the loader did not fit, the caliber was also not adopted, which would cause logistic issues, split ammunition etc.). There was a mention about Tiger II carring a 150mm gun found by Yuri Pasholok, but no details are available as of now. The gun depicted above is not a mod, it was actually really considered for the game in its beta stage. Thank god these abominations did not make it.

More...