Ads displayed for guests and not donating members only. Get ad-free by donating. If you have already donated, please read here.

View Poll Results: Will you donate per month to get a high priority queue and more charts?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, up to 2 EUR per month

15 65.22%
  • Yes, up to 4 EUR per month

3 13.04%
  • Yes, up to 6 EUR per month

1 4.35%
  • Yes, up to 8 EUR per month

1 4.35%
  • No, I will not donate

3 13.04%

Thread: High priority uploading queue and more charts for donation?

High priority uploading queue and more charts for donation?

Hey,

as the server is once more under heavy fire from many users I have to think to upgrade to a bigger server or to limit acceptance for new users.

Currently the server is processing 61000 uploads a day, additionally handling visits of ~4500 users with ~35000 pageimpressions and a lot more served images.
    MySQL is processing ~320 queries per second in the evening hours. We are talking about a database with a size of 58 GB and 152 Mio rows.

What do you think about a high priority uploading queue and even more charts for a small donation?
    So if you donate some bucks you will get that stuff for the next 30 days.

Existing service will of course not be touched, but in high traffic times you will have to wait for your uploads and charts.

Right now there are around 26000 registered users, most of them are uploading regulary. If only 1% of them would pay 50 Cent per month I could lend a second server dedicated to database operations.

The collected money will be invested in a SSD (+34 EUR per month) to speed up the MySQL Database.
    Last edited by Phalynx; 2013-05-26 at 17:46. Reason: added server statistics

for me the ADU bacame useless since last patch. I used it in last year for a while and it worked fine. Then i quit playing for a while and started again, this stats are gone now. Recently i decided to give it a shot again, was able to uplod 30 batles and thats it. For a week no, whenever i start ADU, it tries to upload but not even finish one. Server cancels connection befor upload is finished. Then its switches to offline mode and stays there.
    I come to the question, what server are you using? A privat home connection with a 20 years old 386? Not to offend you but either you set your upload acceptance way to low or you should use a little more modern hardware.

The way this projekt works at the moment, no valuable statistics are possible and to bother your servor no any further, i'll quit starting ADU. Maybe i check back in a couple months again and see how its behaving then.
    Currently it looks like you would force people to pay.

kimd regards

Server cancels the connection was a bug which has been fixed with ADU 2.3.1.2 (read here: http://www.vbaddict.net/project.php?issueid=358)

And I'm sure your 386 can handle around 61000 uploads a day, additionally visits of ~4500 users with ~35000 pageimpressions and a lot more served images. Did you ever thought about you are not the only user on this server? According to monitoring with munin, MySQL is processing ~320 queries per second in the evening hours. We are talking about a database with a size of 58 GB and 152 Mio rows.

That server costs me 59 EUR per month and is used 99% for WoT PA. There are no ads or other things which are used to pay the bill. Donations are coming very rare, not even covering the 59 EUR.

I'm not forcing anyone to pay anything. As I said, the site will stay the same, but users who are donating will get a better priority while uploading data.
    The collected money will be invested in a SSD (+34 EUR per month) to speed up the MySQL Database.

So this is a hobby for which I have to spend time and money. And you are telling me I'm forcing people to pay because there are too much users currently using the service? I could also say you are forcing me to buy new hardware, but I will not spend more money from my own pocket.

Right now there are around 26000 registered users, most of them are uploading regulary. If only 1% of them would pay 50 Cent per month I could lend a second server dedicated to database operations.

If nothing will change, situations like this will return regulary (as such situations happened before multiple times), resulting in frustrated users. The userbase will grow because of the possibilities of the site and shrink based on the bad feedback from this busy server. So the current situation will be solved in few days because too many users will not use the site anymore.

Its the best chart site for Wot, so i would pay for it

I would definitely pay for this site. I am finding it very valuable, and honestly I am surprised you don't have ads, or a premier service already. I have no problem diverting part of my monthly WoT budget to this site.

I think this service is great. I don't have any problem with donating, but I don't like that you're getting out the message that you need donations by holding the userbase hostage with server busy messages. I don't think the upload problems the past few days are because of higher-than-usual volume. I think you've just severely limited the server or turned it off entirely. Saying it's a load issue makes you seem dishonest and doesn't make me want to open my wallet.

Feel free to correct me. Graphs would be convincing.

If you went to a premium model, how would the server distinguish between paying users and free users? Would the client have login credentials stored, or would the server make the determination based on data in the battleresults being uploaded?

And why not put ads on? Removed for premium users, of course, if you go that route. Many people with adblockers can be guilted into disabling it for a specific site.
    Last edited by Theurge; 2013-05-26 at 20:33.

I'd pay a small fee, as you know I donated already in the past, but before I do so I'd like to see my 84 files waiting for upload since 3 days, being uploaded. I understand your problems with the heavy load, but I do not understand why all of a sudden no uploads are possible since last Friday.

Regards,
    Bastogne

I would be prepared to make a donation, are you saying that those that do receive a higher priority now, or not?

BugMan

I just donated 2€. I have donated in the past.

One thing I can say I do not like is everything was working just fine until the last ADU. Forget about update queue priority I have had my Adu open for days and nothing uploads, since the latest adu updates. So overnight it went from very rarely does a battle result not upload, to now they will NEVER upload. Did you change something in the adu to force people to pay? Because with out "queue priority" this equates to ZERO service. I do not want to make you mad but if new users can not try your stats website, and veterans dont have money for a month to pay for "Queue Priority" then You may experience a flood of donations in the begging but with out "new blood" and the natural decay of now daily users, leves me to believe this web-sight has a shortened life expectancy. Especially with downloadable WOT stat programs available for FREE that run on ones own PC. Please think long and hard before Implementing a "Pay for access" web-sight.

Thanks for all people donating in the last 2 days! That is now enough to rent the SSD for the first month.

@RunsFast:
    Calm down. Did you ever read what I wrote here or does this not fit to your uploading-queue-rant?

Clients not able to connect was a bug that was fixed yesterday. That has nothing to do with the busy uploading queue every evening CET:
    Server cancels the connection was a bug which has been fixed with ADU 2.3.1.2 (read here: http://www.vbaddict.net/project.php?issueid=358)

Are YOU paying every month 59 EUR for a service everyone can use for FREE? Did you ever donated some bucks for someone who is offering free service and providing support for that? If not, you are not in the position to demand anything.

Yes, busy server, many users, all of that is just a hoax. Nobody is using the server, just you.

Phalynx,

First of all, nice service you have here.

I voted: No, i will not pay. For the following reason. Have you considered ads? In my opinion a good way to get income. Or is it not feasible?
    But you should not have to pay for something others use, heck, people should pay you a beer for the time you put in.

bottom line is: I dont know, maybe i would pay, maybe not.

Is this helpfull to you?

Edit: got you a beer anyway

dramborlegg, thanks!

Yes, I considered even ads. First of all, I don't like them. They are disturbing the layout and they need additional time to load. Would prefer to receive donation, even smaller amount like 1 EURO is counting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bastogne View Post
    I'd pay a small fee, as you know I donated already in the past, but before I do so I'd like to see my 84 files waiting for upload since 3 days, being uploaded. I understand your problems with the heavy load, but I do not understand why all of a sudden no uploads are possible since last Friday.

Regards,
    Bastogne
    There was a bug which resulted in a dropped connection, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBill View Post
    I just donated 2€. I have donated in the past.
    Thanks. Mostly I cannot assign your eMail Address to your nick, so in most cases if you don't write who you are I don't know who exactly has donated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Fragg View Post
    donated
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalynx View Post
    dramborlegg, thanks!

Yes, I considered even ads. First of all, I don't like them. They are disturbing the layout and they need additional time to load. Would prefer to receive donation, even smaller amount like 1 EURO is counting!
    I understand your concerns. Ads will give you a steady and calculated income, something donations will not do. You saw youself that with the problems of last few days and your reaction to the situation the donations came in.

Do you have any idea how other (free) websites handle this situation? Perhaps worth a few hours research?

Quote Originally Posted by dramborlegg View Post
    I understand your concerns. Ads will give you a steady and calculated income, something donations will not do. You saw youself that with the problems of last few days and your reaction to the situation the donations came in.

Do you have any idea how other (free) websites handle this situation? Perhaps worth a few hours research?
    Yes, mostly with ads, the other one are paying from own pocket, but are using the server(s) for a business they are driving. I'm in contact with other webmasters related to WoT.

Maybe I will do Ads but offer an ad-free account for 2 EUR per month, or similar. Let's see, currently the situation is save thanks to the recent donations.

Thanks to donation we have now another solution in place. Let's see how this continues next month.

Read more:
    http://www.vbaddict.net/content.php?...ion-driven-SSD!