Hello everyone, today it is 70 years from the beginning of one of the most tragic episodes of the largest armed conflict ever fought, the Warsaw Uprising, has begun. Wargaming of course celebrates its own anniversary instead, but I think this is something that should not be forgotten either. The brutal two-month nazi siege of Warsaw saw around 200 thousand Polish people (mostly civillians) killed both by relentless bombardment (one of the few operational uses of the monstrous Sturmtiger self-propelled mortars) and by mass executions, with hundreds of thousands more evicted from their homes and large parts of Warsaw destroyed. The (some historicans claim intentional) inaction of allies, especially Soviet troops, remains one of the disputed aspects of the tragedy to this day. Now, 70 years later, it might be ancient history for some, something that could never ever happen again, not in the age of computers, internet and games, but the truth is that manking never really learned from history and today, just like all those years ago, there are still people willing to usurp power – and just like back then, there is still the public opinion that “this could never happen today”. The world should really make an exception from its forgetfulness and remember the lessons of World War Two. In this sense, I think World of Tanks has done its part by bringing people to at least this single aspect of history, armored warfare, it provides the framework and a stepping stone for learning the rest. And for that, I am grateful, but whether we are willing to learn, that is another matter.

More...