Thanks to Vvothan for this one. Hello everyone, an interesting post appeared on one pro-Russian blog regarding Ukraine. The blog itself is the usual Russian crap about “junta”, “fascists” and all that, but what is interesting is the part, where it claims that the Ukrainian armed forces started seizing and using tanks, meant, paid for and built for export to foreing customers. Please note that commandeering tanks meant for export is not something shocking or new. During the 1938 crisis and mobilization connected with the nazi terror in Czech borderlands, Czechoslovak army commandeered numerous tanks meant for export (they were released after the crisis was over). But is the article really correct? One of these tanks is allegedly the T64-B1M, a modernized T-64 tank with improved armor, designed to fight in city areas. Since late July, these tanks were transferred to the National Guard of Ukraine. It is not known, whether it’s actually an export tank at all, but it was presented as the tank for the guard. The blog claims it was intended for export, but I haven’t found any mention of anything like that or where it was supposed to be sold (such things are usually not secret anyway). Another such vehicle is supposed to be the T-72B, upgraded with “Kontakt-1″ dynamic armor. It was presented to Ukrainian president Poroshenko at the end of July as a part of a demonstration of new arms for the Ukrainian guard. The blog claims that this too was a part of some export contract, but no proof was given. Overall, it seems odd to me that such a thing as seizing export arms when your country is in danger is presented as something really odd – it’s logical and relatively normal behavior. As no proof of the claims was offered, I guess we have to chalk it up to propaganda. The tanks look nice though.

More...