Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ Thanks to Ed Francis for this one. So, the new trailer for the Fury movie is out! And it’s very… stronk. Check it out. The fact that the movie used the only running Tiger in the world (the Bovvy one) when making it is widely known, but nevertheless, it’s still damn impressive. When you look at the Tiger exhaust pipes for example, you will see holes – those were made by actual WW2 shells during actual war, this tank actually fired at and killed British soldiers before its capture. Even the famous “Saving Private Ryan” movie had a “Tiger” made on some other suspension (I don’t know what it was – T-34 as usual?). Aaaaaaaaaand then it gets fucked up. Why does everyone always assume that the Sherman was such crap? Some “producer” guy calls it “far better designed and protected” while “a Sherman tank was a vulnerable piece of tin” – in fact, the firepower of the 76mm Sherman (which is in the movie) was quite sufficient for pretty much everything. Tigers – while powerful, no doubt about that – were at the end of the war practically obsolete. Pretty much all the enemy tanks they encountered in 1944 (apart from the 75mm Sherman) could take a Tiger out (well, that’s why Tiger II was designed) and the Big Cat was nowhere near as fearsome as it was before. Sherman on the other hand got only better and it proved to be such a good design that (like the Soviet T-34) it served successfully for years and years after the war. The entire comment part of the trailer seems like they were channelling Belton Cooper from beyond the grave. I blame him for starting the “Sherman was crap” myth (that was debunked numerous times). The infamous “5 to 1 ratio was needed to destroy a Tiger” was crap too (explained here for example on a Panther). Or the crap about Shermans burning a lot. I have a really, really bad feeling about this movie now.

More...