Author: Karika Hello everyone, I’m Karika from the EU server, a volunteer researcher of the Hungarian armored fighting vehicles. Some of you might already read my articles about the Hungarian tanks and tank destroyers of WWII, here on the FTR blog. Today, I’m going to start a new series of articles here, about how the Hungarian tanks could be implemented into World of Tanks. In this first part, let me explain some of the main aspects and problems of this hopefully upcoming branch, and from part two, I’ll list the possible candidates with their predictable characteristics from vehicle to vehicle. Also, I’ll try to give reasons why I put that vehicle in the tech tree where I put it. Silentstalker already wrote a short summary about this topic, you can read it here, but there are some new detailes and corrections I would like to add in my articles. I’m also not going to go into too much detailes about the concept of the European tech tree. SS already wrote a great summary about this too, you can read it here and here. First of all, I must make clear, that there are NO official decision or statement from Wargaming was made about how exactly and when exacty will the European tanks come. All we know, according to the latest informations and leaks, that the first parts/waves of the EU tree might probably come sometime in 2015, but no details yet and this is not sure either. Keep in mind that even if the fate of the EU tanks was already decided, WG is definitely not going to disclose that decision for now, because this is at least medium-far future stuff. It could be delayed or totally changed, or some parts of it could be scrapped during the development process and they certainly don’t want people to be upset or whine about it. So – after this long prelude – let’s take a look at how I imagine the Hungarian tech tree tree now. Right now, as it might change in the future, for example when/if the alternative hull options will be implemented, maybe the Toldi IIA and the Toldi III could merge, as one could be the other’s optional hull and turret. As you can see, Hungary can not build a complete WoT tech branch on its own. This creates a lot of problems and questions, so I’ll try to explain a few here. Is this tech tree proposal historical? Yes, it’s as historical as possible. I mostly used the historical or historically verifiable planned/considered modules and characteristics of these vehicles, with one or two expectations in the paper projects, I’ll note them. However, I have to say that I’m not a WoT developer or an expert on the in-game balance and I don’t know what exactly is acceptable and what is not, when it comes to unhistorical stuff. Therefore, I sticked with the historical stuff, and let the developers (screw up) balance the tree. It will definitelly change, because the tanks in WoT rarely correspond to their historical equivalents, when it comes to modules such as guns, engines, turrets, radios etc. And there’s nothing wrong with that, WoT is an arcade game for the masses,and not a history simulator for tank nerds. I’ll give you the details about the historical authenticity of the Hungarian tanks and TDs in the following articles. Will we get Hungarian heavy tanks? No, because the only traditional heavy tanks in Hungarian service were the Pz. Kpfw. VI Tiger during and the IS-2 after the war. These tanks are already in the game, so there’s no reason to put them into WoT again in a different tech tree. But this stuff is a bit more complicated than that, let me make it clear. The Hungarian tank classification terminology during the war was a bit different than the international one. The Hungarians distinguished their heavy tanks from their medium tanks based on the caliber of the main gun and not simply based on the weight of the vehicle. This means that any tank with a 75mm or higher caliber gun was considered ’heavy tank’ in Hungarian service, regardless of its weight, size or anything. Therefore, the 41M. Turán II medium tank with its short 75mm L/25 gun and 19 t weight was referred as Turán II ’heavy’ tank*, just like the 43M. Turán III and the 44M. Tas, along with technically every German Pz. IV variant, and Pz. V Panther used by Hungary. However, according to the classification system of WoT, these Hungarian tanks will be still classified as medium tanks, so no heavy tanks for you Hungary, sorry. Not even as premium/gift tanks, because there aren’t any researchable/regular heavy tank to train the crew for. *To compare: The real life Pz. Kpfw. IV Ausf. C had similar attributes; short 7,5cm KwK 37 L/24 cannon and also 19 ton weight. What about the artillery? Fortunately/unfortunately, Hungary completely lacks the candidates for an artillery line, as the only artillery in the WoT timeframe, which had any Hungarian connections is basically a Czechoslovak conversion, this – and that vehicle should be placed in the Czechoslovak artillery line of the EU tree as a tier 3 arty, because it was only operated by Czechoslovak crews. Why there are not any German, Soviet, or other tanks in that tech tree, which were used by the Hungarians? I intentionally left out the not domestically designed/manufactured tanks and TDs from this tech tree plan, because the Hungarians did not modify their foreign tanks enough to consider them as a ’new’ vehicle in WoT. They would be worse copy-cats than some of the Chinese stuff :) For example: During the WWII, there were hundreds of Pz. Kpfw. 38(t), Jagdpanzer 38(t) “Hetzer” and various Pz. Kpfw. IV variants – just to name a few, there were many more – in Hungarian service and fought on the Eastern Front with Hungarian insignias and crews. But these markings, colors and the operating personel were the only differences between the Hungarian and German tanks, they used the same German/Czech guns, ammunition, radios, everything as the originals, the ones we already have in WoT. Same goes for the post war Soviet tanks, such as the T-34/85, SU-76M, etc. Pz. Kpfw. IV Ausf F1 with Hungarian licence plate and insignias To be honest, implementing these already playable tanks again with Hungarian colors and voiceover would not add too much to the game experience. Maybe just in the upcoming, overhauled Historical battle mode, who knows? I can only imagine them as ’captured’ premium tanks or gift tanks of some sort, but they definitely should not be placed in the researchable, Continue reading →

More...