Author: David “Listy” Lister Hello everyone, since today it’s the Remembrance Day in Britain, here’s a little something from Listy to the topic. -SS As I live in East Anglia, for this weeks article it seemed fitting, considering the time of year, to visit the US Cemetery in Madingley near Cambridge. While there, I took a few photographs. It lies on the side of a hill to the west of Cambridge – despite being alongside a busy main road, it’s extremely peaceful inside. Next to the main entrance for coaches stands a model of the site: The memorial wall separates the small car park. At the start of the wall stands a dedication: After that, there’s the wall stretching to the distance with over 5,000 names on it, including at least two (that I spotted) Medal of Honor recipients. How much room do the 5,000 missing names take up? Well, this photograph was taken standing next to the chapel at the other end of the wall to the dedication: Along the wall stand four exquisitely detailed statues. The doors of the chapel are also a work of art. Inside the Chapel itself is a huge mural, showing the area of operations, where most of the interred suffered their fate. There is a small visitor center, that has some basic information about the US forces and WW2. It has two small bits of history of the cemetery itself. This view is of the chapel from further down the field: The people hidden in this picture in the right background are not visitors. They’re a group of volunteers, organised by Captain Huber from the two local USAF bases (Lakenheath and Alconbury), who had given up their Friday morning to stand in the cold and rain, cleaning the grave stones by hand. As you can see that is likely an unending task.

More...