Author: Tyraforce (F15 clan) Today we’re going to have a look at everybody’s favorite WOT vehicle class called SPGs, arties, f… clickers, scumbags, lucky bastards, sky pigs, cancer, cowards and worse (see FTR Hall of shame for the full family-friendly list). This is the first part of a 3-part guide that will cover nearly everything associated with these much loved vehicles WG blessed us with. The first part will cover general info and basic guidelines, which experienced players might not find as interesting. More advanced stuff will be covered in parts 2 and 3. Let’s get started. SPG ROLE & PHILOSOPHY SPGs are a part of the rocks-scissors-paper concept and their job is to deal with heavies and campers in general. While many whine and wish arties were removed, this would only encourage people to camp harder and more people would just drive E3s, find a hulldown spot with a solid cover behind them and troll the heck out of the enemy team. Arties reduce the amount of possible camping spots and keep people moving. Also, they narrow the gap between excellent and bad players by suppressing the excellent ones and making their life much harder. They are the necessary evil that makes the game ticking whether you like them or not. In my humble opinion, everyone should get a tier 10 SPG to fully understand how they work, where they can hit you and how to avoid their shells. A good arti driver doesn’t need very good reflexes but rather good situational awareness and the ability to constantly evaluate the threat level of different targets as well as other factors. Being able to hit stuff reliably is only the beginning of the path of the scumbag. RNG & SKILL Arties are heavily influenced by RNG and it is well possible to miss several fully aimed shots in a row in certain SPGs. However, in the long run, it is your skill and not the RNG that influences your damage output and win rate. In general, experienced players pick better positions, targets and aiming spot thus having a significantly higher chance to hit and pen. If you keep missing shots, you are probably doing something wrong as 60%+ chance of direct hits is not that hard to achieve in public games. However, even the greatest arti players have games where they can’t hit anything and there is no reason to despair. If you are good, your long-term stats will show it and honestly, you can’t suck if you decide to read the boring twenty pages that are about to follow. Many players believe that SPGs have lower skill requirements than other tanks. Well, this is a bit tricky so I’ll just list what I consider to be true: 1) A bad player will do better in SPGs than in any other vehicle. It is unlikely he will die in the first minute of the game, he will deal damage if he hits something and those HE shells he’s been using in his E100 will finally work for him… However, he will probably still be a bad arti player far behind the good ones. 2) A great player will not be able to influence the game as much when playing SPGs. While it is much harder to turn a game around or secure the win by killing 8+ tanks, you can still get a very good arti win rate. I recently realized that while grinding arties in solo random games, I have a consistent ~60% win rate. I recently finished grinding the Crusader SP, which I find the weakest of its tier and realized I have 68% solo win rate in it. 3) SPGs give bad players a very good chance of killing players they wouldn’t be able to stand against otherwise. This causes much rage and all the “learn to play a proper tank” comments. 4) There is a big difference between a good and bad SPG performance. However, not as big as with other vehicles. To get a better idea, check the following picture. This was a Prokhorovka battle with 2 Bat arties. While neither of the players is exceptionally good or bad, their general arti performance differs a lot as well as the performance in the specific battle. Notice that the player who dealt 6k dmg actually lost the battle (and didn’t ammorack anyone) while the 800dmg guy survived the battle and was not afk. Also notice that the worse player has many more battles in the Bat arti so he must be doing a lot of things wrong. WHICH NATION SHOUD I PICK? If you only want to pick only one nation and are planning to play Strongholds, Clan Wars etc., then pick either UK or USA. Do not pick Germany as G.W.E100 is rarely used. UK: FV304 is the most popular tier 6 SPG and a very unique and fun arti to play. Also it gets used in tier 8 CW by some pro clans to deal with camps on maps like Mountain Pass. The Conqueror GC has the highest shell arc of tier 10 artillery and is used on maps where other arties are useless by all respectable clans. USA: M40/M43 is the best tier 8 arti on maps where you expect heavy tanks to appear. Both tier 9 and 10 American arties are used in CW for their huge splash radius on maps where you expect concentrated heavy forces. However, unlike the Conqueror GC they are not irreplaceable and some clans don’t use them at all. For random games, any nation will do. They are all about equally enjoyable and they all include great and terrible SPGs. If you want to become a serious arti player, the French line is a must. Its mobility lets you test many different arti positions, which you can then safely use with your slower SPGs. TIER X SPGs in CLAN WARS While different clans tend to have different preferences, this is the general classification: B-C 155 58 (aka Bat arti) – Used only when you need to move your arti to a specific location very fast. At the moment it is only used on Province (AFAIK). Low damage combined with low penetration and splash is just bad for CW. G.W.E 100 – Rarely used due to poor mobility and camo. It is impossible to relocate and easy to counter. Conqueror GC – Used to shoot over obstacles on mountainous maps and sometimes even on city maps. It is often used on flat maps in combo with another arti. It is probably the best arti for tank companies as it is useful on any map. T92 – Used on maps Continue reading →

More...