Silentstalker: First a little announcement. After seeing the comments under part 1, following measures will be taken not to repeat the same situation. It’s okay not to like artillery, but a) spamming b) cancer stuff, death wishes etc. c) rude comments without any merit will be deleted and their posters will be banned (the worst cases, like Woel aka CosmicSquirrel here will be added to my shitlist and treated as HoS members). Sorry, sick of the arty hate shit. Got nothing constructive to add? Then stay silent. Thanks for understanding. Author: Tyraforce First, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions concerning part 1 of this guide. I was shocked how much flame the guide started. I understand getting artied makes people angry in the game (almost as much as premium ammo) but I really didn’t expect such whining at FTR. This TK happened just a few hours after the guide went life and it was some funny reading indeed. Big thanks to those special folks for following FTR and reading the guide. I can’t really respond to all the 328 comments you posted but I feel one controversial topic needs to be addressed in more detail, ARTY and CAMPING The most common argument why arty encourages camping was “When there are many SPGs on each team, people camp harder.” This was really not my point. The question all the arty-haters should ask is this: “How would WoT change if arty got removed?” For one thing, E3, 261, IS7 and similar tanks would become very popular. Right now, they can only camp in arty-safe positions whereas without arty, any hulldown position would become a bunker full of these tanks. This would create huge kill-zones which would be painful to conquer without superb coordination. You know how painful it is now to break through certain camps. This would become much worse and would happen on more maps. Remember the arty-safe bridge camp on Pearl River where teams sat for 10min doing nothing? Would they sit there while getting artied? Can you even imagine CW? Right now every second team camps the southern base on Mountain Pass, which they consider reasonably arty-safe. Now, imagine what would happen if all the bases were arty-safe. If you don’t like this argument, consider Armored Warfare. It’s a WoT clone, which is trying to fix some WoT problems. They know, WoT players hate arty and only few really love it, so what do they do? Well, the last video shows exactly the same arty view and aiming circle. I bet they couldn’t find a better solution. That said, we can discuss how to change arty (sb. suggested longer aiming time and better accuracy to punish campers and help meds) or how to replace it. However, if you claim WoT would be better without it, you clearly haven’t thought long enough about it. INITIAL POSITION In public games, most arties start heading to their favorites spots right after the countdown is over. Let’s make sure you’re not one of them. Before the game starts, evaluate the enemy team and predict where the top players and top tanks will push. When the game starts, wait to see where your capable players and tanks are going. Now you have to estimate 1] which side of the map your team is likely to hold 2] where will the decisive fight take place. Your position should be somewhere behind the guys you trust to hold the line. The more you trust them to hold, the closer to them you can be, but remember to keep an obstacle between you and the enemies at all times. It is perfectly sound to hug a sideline and move forward a few squares so you can get side shots in the enemies on the other flank and avoid their frontal cover. It is commonly believed arty shoots you over your hard cover and most really do. This is not ideal, however, as a lot of shells will hit that cover. A well-positioned arty shoots your side while avoiding your hard cover altogether, which is what all the mobile arties should try to accomplish whenever possible. RELOCATING “Noob team!” is the usual message bad arty drivers use when they die early to 5 enemy heavies. While you can blame your team for not killing a scout you cannot blame them for not sending enough tanks to counter those 5 heavies. You don’t need to win both flanks to win the game and in most games one flank will fall. Using the arty view, you have the best overview of the battlefield and the ability to predict a push before it happens. If you don’t think your side can hold, it’s time to move no matter how slow you may be. If you die a lot, consider asking the “Am I still safe here?” question after each shot. The following picture is from the same battle as the picture above. It is a typical example of wrong arty play that I encounter way too often. Since western part of the map is clear, I’m relocating to get away from the enemy who have 2 fast tanks probably crossing the bridge to get the arty. Notice that our other two SPGs are not relocating and get slaughtered 30sec later blaming the “noob e100” for not sniping a speeding Bat Chat. In the bottom right corner you can also see the enemy arty who didn’t bother to move either. No arty is too slow to relocate IF you watch the map closely and do so in time. Getting 2 extra shots out is in most cases not worth the early loss of your vehicle. Getting killed every time your team loses a flank is not acceptable. DEFEND THE BASE! If at all possible, don’t be anywhere near the base when the enemies come to cap. Once again, if the enemy tanks find you in the base it is purely your fault as people have better thing to do than to babysit the arty. You have tracks – use them! However, there are certain bases where you can remain hidden while spotting the cappers so always consider this option before you head out. Check the picture below where my noob self and a random unicum (in a slow tier 8 British arty) relocated (purple arrows) to cover the base. As the team provided no spots, I fired blind and hit a capper in the most obvious spot. I chose to fire 10s before the cap would be over to have time for my last shell if needed. The FV waited, watched my shell connect and then finished off the same target securing Continue reading →

More...