Hello everyone, something that came to my mind yesterday with the Falathi interview. I think he mentioned the concept of “WoT killers” and compared them to “World of Warcraft killers”. In case you don’t know, “WoW killer” is a trope of sorts – basically, World of Warcraft is a very old MMO and during its lifespan, there was a relatively large amount of MMORPG’s, that were – often not intentionally and only by their fanbases – presented as “WoW killers”, in the sense that they would steal a large chunk of World of Warcraft playerbase, making WoW obsolete. Needless to say, that never really happened and while World of Warcraft was steadily losing players for several last years (the peak was around 2010), it was not as much due to the appearance of other games, but simply a “natural decay”, one that awaits World of Tanks inevitably. Aou can see jolts of interest on the curve (those represent the large expansions, such as the one in Q4 2014), but the tendency is obvious. Current World of Tanks playerbase also stagnates by the way – in January 2014, the peak on RU server in primetime was a record: 1,1 million. Nowadays it’s around 900-950k. But let me make one thing absolutely clear: there was no such thing as a WoW killer and there will not be a game that will kill World of Tanks. Steal a part of the playerbase like Gaijin did with War Thunder – sure, but it will never be enough to bury World of Tanks, unless the game is absolutely brilliant. WoT was the first game of its type and that’s never going to change. Its developers, Storm and SerB used to joke that they “found it in a trash bin”, but the truth is that the idea behind WoT is a brilliant concept. Anything that will come from now on will either be built upon the basic WoT principles (AW) or will attempt to be different at all costs – and fail (War Thunder), just like it happened with World of Warcraft. I do believe the first approach is better actually, as it allows the developers to polish the issues that make World of Tanks frustrating at times – artillery, battles full of terrible players, too much RNG. Fixing these issues and adding better engine to the mixture is certainly a good way to steal a chunk of WoT players (or even developers, as some of the AW staff are ex-WG people) but WoT will not die from it. It however means one more thing: Wargaming will never, EVER create a game as successful as World of Tanks again. Not happening. World of Warships will be more successful than World of Warplanes (which was a total flop even according to WG staff), but I seriously doubt it will “step outside its niche”, as one WG rep mentioned it recently. I do not believe the project very much – of course I could be wrong, but what is certain is that it will never reach the size of WoT playerbase (and IMHO not even a third of it). With that being said however, the chunk stolen might be quite sizeable. Or it might be small. We’ll just have to see, won’t we? Looking forward to AW beta in Q1 this year. You know, I have to wonder… how hard must it be for the developers of other WG games to have such a giant to compare to? Must be difficult to keep up.

More...