Warning, this post contains large pictures. Author: Kawagreen Introduction Hello fellow tankers, I am KawaGreen from KAZNA. My girlfriend gave me the entire Italeri World of Tanks model set as a present for my birthday. These include the M4 Sherman, Ferdinand, M24 Chaffee and Pz. Kpfw. VI Tiger. I will also complete them in that order. She also bought the paint set with 6 colors. When I was around the age of 12, I used to build model aircraft kits from Revel. But I really didn’t have the dedication and patience I have today at the age of 25. So all those models were kind of garbage when I finished them, but a good time consuming practice, so I liked it. My girlfriend ordered the set on a Monday and I received them on a Wednesday. Pretty good delivery time from Italy –> Belgium. Building the M4 Sherman First thing I noticed when unpacking was that I didn’t have all the colors to even start at building it. So first thing I did was open all the boxes, get the manuals out and write down all the paint color codes. I could have ordered them at the Italeri webshop but I wanted to start building right away. So I called a couple of model stores asking if they had the Italeri paint. No success so I found a paint convert table online where I could find the corresponding revel paint. So I then went to buy all the other paint I needed for all the models from Revel. Set me back around €35. I finally could start building it. The manual is pretty clear, I didn’t have any problems following it. Sometimes you can choose how to complete it. You can choose to leave the hatches open or closed. You also have the option to choose between 2 different front sprockets. Some of the little handles you need to put on the tank are a pain in the ass to glue them. They are so little you can only hold them with a twirlers to apply glue. Sometimes you need to be creative when you glue a part on the tank that needs some support when the glue is drying. I used some tape on most occasions. The glue dries pretty fast for large components but the little parts need like 20 minutes to dry to be really safe to continue. The turret can rotate, the gun can elevate and also the machinegun on the turret is fully movable, up-down left-right. Painting I know experienced model builders use an airbrush to paint their models, but I don’t have one so it was paintbrushes for me. I first painted the first layer on the sherman, and at that point I kind of silently panicked. The paint didn’t stick that well and you could see lines coming through the paint. So I left it to dry for a night and gave it a second layer the day after. Once parts of the second layer were starting to dry I was satisfied with the result. I then used the smallest brush I could find to paint all the little details, like the rear lights (red), front lights (grey + orange), guns (gunmetal and black) and handles for the axe and others (brown). If you look close you can still see some lines on the paint but I think it looks awesome. We got a Sherman on a display in my town and that one has also lines from big paintbrushes that were used to re-paint it. Things I would do different if I needed to start over Paint the lower hull before assembly, after putting the suspension and wheels on the hull, there is little room to reach the hull. Not gluing the wheels to the suspension, so they can turn. Tips - Don’t use much glue. Just a thin layer that covers the two surfaces that will be touching is enough. - Use a knife to get the parts from the bracket. You will brake some parts if you are not carefull. Some are very fragile. - Be patient, don’t try to rush in, it will be worth it. - Be careful when gluing parts that can rotate. - Wash your paintbrushes with water. The paint is Acrylic so it dissolves when applying water. - Keep track of the parts you put on the tank. Use the manual to highlight parts that are done. Pictures Link http://italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2420 If I see questions in the comments I will answer them in the article of the Ferdinand.

More...