Hello everyone, just like in the case of the previous post, I usually don’t deal with World of Warplanes stuff – that game is dead and everyone knows it. The basic idea behind it was that unlike tanks, the USA have a huge tradition in warplanes and thus the game just has to be successful there, right? Well, wrong. Internally, Wargaming considers World of Warplanes a failed project not worth advertising anymore and the words of gunlion, NA community manager, confirm that in a way. Here’s what he recently wrote on US forums. Bold parts are by me, it’s the last part of the post, that is important. I’ve been quoted in this thread regarding ideas about feasible strategies to create longterm population increases, and I stand by what I said about cross-promotional incentives. What we would see is a brief burst of players coming over to earn Premium/Gold, and then leaving after the event. Certainly, you may get some who stick around, but it historically has not been on a level that makes a noticeable change. And this is just speaking to the audiences of each game; there are some players who enjoy Tanks, there are some players who enjoy Planes, there are some that enjoy both; but those who typically like one or the other do so because of the unique gameplay each provides, and offering carrot-on-a-stick rewards isn’t conductive to making lasting gains in population. And it is also not as easy as flipping a switch, there would be a lot of coordination involved from a lot of departments to properly set this up, prepare for messaging, support, etc. Then you have to factor in effect on economy, and all these things. So, you look at all of that, and ask, “What would the gains be here? Are they equal to the effort?” And I don’t want anyone to interpret that as meaning that effort is not being spent in support of World of Warplanes in NA. A lot of people have also said, “Gunlion is busy on Warships these days.” I will share with you, last week some of the WoWP developers were here, and we spent the week planning what is coming up for World of Warplanes. There will be some things in there that will do some good to help fill out battles, and give players tools to run scrims or training room events. Obviously there are things we cannot talk about yet, but it was an opportunity to meet and discuss World of Warplanes and activities we can do for NA this year. Regarding advertising, we advertise when there is a reason to. A lot of people ask, “Why have we not been advertising? Wouldn’t advertising fix the population?” I will be completely candid with you; assume that you were a completely new player. Assume that, within the past few months, post update 1.6, you saw an ad for World of Warplanes and it interested you enough to register and download the game. At that time, you would have had the ‘sandbox’ protection, but consider overall what your experience might have been at that time with the queue. What is the feasibility that you would have remained a member of the community? Given the cost of advertising, what do you think the return would have been at that point? So previously, it did not make sense to advertise at the time. We are going to continue supporting World of Warplanes in NA. Obviously, he can’t admit failure openly, he’s just a CM, not a developer. Hmm, I wonder how long will it take before they pull the plug…

More...