Hello everyone, remember the Bastogne Barracks Museum post here on FTR? To give you a quick rundown: it’s a well-estabilished museum, unfortunately the Belgian army that runs it decided to possibly shut it down. A petition was made to prevent that from happening and I asked for your signatures, because there aren’t that many important armor museums around Europe. Well, there’s an update and it is not good. The decision might be taken around Easter. By the words of the petition organizer: “At this time not 6, but 15 bases are at stake. Handing over the base to civilians is not an option, the costs to keep the place open are too high, and the city of Bastogne itself might not be interested because of their focus on their own Mardasson museum which has just been renovated.” Since I believe every bit of tank history is worth preserving (too much was lost already or went to private owners, never to be seen again), I am bringing this to your attention yet again: please sign the petition, it doesn’t cost you anything and it might help one museum escape from the clutches of bean counters.

More...