Status Report: 0.9.7 Vehicles descriptions translations.
Thank you "Ivan" for the translation!
AMX 30 1st prototype
Developed within the frame of the contest on creation of a unified European tank. The vehicle turned out to have maneuverability, engine power, and effective anti-tank engagement distance superior to all other vehicles except the Leopard 1. The armor protection of the vehicle was weaker than that of the majority of vehicles of the period. However, with the appearance of anti-tank shells the thickness of armor did not make much difference anymore.
A prototype of the AMX 50 tank. Developed in the early 1950s under the influence of the Soviet IS-3 and T-10. The tank featured enhanced armor and a 120-mm gun in the oscillating turret.
AMX ELC bis
Developed from 1957 through 1961 due to the need of the French airborne troops for an air transportable vehicle that could provide reliable support for troops against heavy tanks. The vehicle mounted a 90-mm gun and had a very low silhouette. The two crew members were seated in the turret, which could turn a whole 360 degrees, but only when the vehicle was not moving. Variants with different guns were planned. Only one prototype was manufactured. The vehicle never saw service.
AMX 30 B
Developed in 1966. The vehicle had maneuverability, engine power, and effective anti-tank engagement distance superior to all other vehicles except the Leopard 1. Great view range allowed the vehicle’s commander to coordinate the actions of the crew and to maintain situational awareness, which greatly increased the vehicle’s effectiveness on the battlefield. With the appearance of anti-tank shells, the thickness of armor did not make much difference anymore. A total of 2,800 vehicles were manufactured.
Developed in the mid-30s within the frame of the contest on creation of a new infantry support tank. The only French vehicle that had a diesel engine. By 1939, a total of 100 vehicles were manufactured.
The most massively produced WWII French light tank. Developed in 1934 on a request from the army for infantry support. A total of 1,630 vehicles were manufactured from 1936 through 1940.
Developed from 1935 through 1940. The vehicle could be compated with the T-34 in terms of its characteristics. Among all the presented prototypes, the Renault G1R project was eventually selected. The vehicle had individual torsion-bar suspension and original gun mounting scheme. A prototype was built by 1940. However, the development was stopped due to the defeat of France the same year.
Developed by Hubert Clermont from 1940 through 1942. Some designs of the G1R infantry tank, the development of which stopped in 1940, as well as structural parts of the mass manufactured medium tank SOMUA S35, were incorporated in the new vehicle. The tank was being developed when France was occupied by German forces, and it was planned that the development would be continued after liberation of the country. However, in 1944 the project was deemed technically outdated.
The high firepower, armor protection, and mobility made the S35 one of the best light tanks of that period. However, the single turret employed on the vehicle required the commander to take on multiple tasks at once, such as searching for enemy targets, aiming and reloading the gun, and to coordinate the actions of the crew. This factor reduced the situational awareness of crew members and decreased the vehicle’s effectiveness on the battlefield. By the capitulation of France on June 22, 1940, a total of 427 vehicles were manufactured.
FV201 (A45) Universal Tank
Developed form 1944 by English Electric within the frame of the creation of an infantry tank. The new vehicle was planned to replace the A43 Black Prince. Some components were unified with the A41 Centurion. In 1948 the trials of a prototype were started. The prototype mounted a Centurion Mk. II turret and a 17-pounder gun. Did not enter service due to changes in the policy for Armored Forces development. However, the vehicle later served as a basis for several post-war heavy tanks.
A vehicle of the “Desert Rats” 7th armored division. The division got its name for the excellence on the battlefield during the North African campaign. The Cromwell tanks were supplied to the division in 1944 after its return to the U.K. These vehicles were used during the D-day, fought in Rheine, and eventually took part in the Victory Parade on September 7, 1945 in Berlin.
A vehicle project by Steyr, developed within the frame of contest on the creation of a special artillery transporter, which would be able not only to transport the artillery but also to shoot directly from the chassis. To make the new vehicle more cost-efficient and also to reduce the complexity of its structure it was planned to widely utilize the components of the Raupenschlepper Ost creeper tractor. The turret with the gun for the vehicle was supplied by Krupp. One wooden model and one prototype were manufactured by September 2, 1944.
Steyr WT (?)
The G modification of the Pz. IV was produced since May 1942. In April 1943 production of the H modification was started that proved to be the most massively produced vehicle in the history of the Pz. IV. Additional armament on the first vehicles was mounted and later it was replaced with one plate with thickness of 80-mm. The new type of transmission slightly reduced vehicle speed. However, it was more reliable. The tanks of this modification also featured screens with thickness of 5–8 mm. A total of 3,774 vehicles of the H modification were manufactured.
The project was developed by the Design Bureau of the Chelyabinsk Kirov Plant since December 1943. In April 1944 development of two prototypes of the Object 701 was started. After the trials the project was improved. During the fall of 1944—winter of 1945 two more prototypes underwent trials. The Object 701 No. 5 was recommended to enter service. However, the tank was not mass-produced due to the start of the IS-3 mass-production. After the IS-3 production was suspended in 1946, the IS-4 entered service. Mass production of the IS-4 was canceled in 1949. A total of 25 IS-4M tanks were mass-produced in 1951. Later all previously produced tanks were modernized to the level of the IS-4M. According to different sources, between 235 and 258 vehicles were built that were later used in the Far East.
A further development of the experimental tank Object 237. The Object 244 featured a more powerful gun. The fighting compartment was slightly changed: radio was placed in the turret recess, a new fan with improved efficiency was mounted, the ammo rack and the periscopic sight were modified. The driver's and engine-transmission compartment were not modified. The vehicle never entered service due to insufficient strength of the gun barrel.
ISU-122S heavy SPG on the basis of the IS tank. During WWII the vehicle was used as a powerful assault gun and tank destroyer. The prototype was built at the Chelyabinsk Kirov Plant in April 1944. The vehicle entered service on August 22, 1944. A total of 675 ISU-122S were manufactured since August 1944 through 1945.
The tank was used in the movie "Four Tank-Men and a Dog." According to the plot it was the T-34-85 tank with identifying number 102 of the 1st tank brigade of the Polish Army named after the Heroes of Westerplatte. The real ?-34-85 was produced in Poland and differed from the Soviet tank of the late war period. In 1951 the manufacturing license was purchased by the Polish plant Bumar Labedy located in Gliwice, Poland.
The heavy tank IS-2 (IS-122) was a modification of the IS-1. Since 1944 it featured a simple cast front part with thickness of 120 mm. The IS-2 was extensively used during the assault of the fortified cities such as Budapest, Breslau, Berlin by the separate guards heavy tank regiments. For mutual identification such vehicles featured special tactical markers —white strings. This vehicle was the tank of the 7th Guards heavy tank brigade. The picture of the tank in front of the Brandenburg Gate became world famous.